HOLBETON, a large straggling village, on an eminence, west of the Erme estuary, and four miles S.W. by W. of Modbury, has in its parish 1120 souls, and 4623 acres of land, extending to Bigbury Bay, and including the hamlets of Mothecombe, Creacombe, and Ford, and many scattered farmhouses, &c. Lime is burnt here, and barges of 70 tons come up the estuary. Lady Eliz. Bulteel, (daughter of Earl Grey, and a relict of the late J. C. Bulteel Esq.,) is lady of the manor, and has a large and elegant mansion here, called Flete House, which was long the seat of the ancient family of Hele, one of whom was created a baronet in 1627. This branch of the family became extinct in 1716, when the estate passed to the Bulteels. The mansion was built in the reign of Elizabeth, but its two principal fronts were altered in the castellated style, about 14 years ago, by the late J. C. Bulteel Esq., who made other extensive improvements, one of which is a large and splendid picture gallery, well stored with the works of ancient and modern artrists. Membland Hall, the seat of Robert Robertson, Esq., formerly belonged to the Rev. Sir Pp. Perring, Bart., and was the occasional residence of his family, one of whom, Sir John Perring, was Lord Mayor of London in 1803, and was created a baronet in 1808. His uncle purchased the estate of the Bulteels, and rebuilt the house. Rd. Holland, Esq., the Rev. W. J. Pinwill, and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish. The Church (All Saints,) is a large and handsome cruciform structure, with a tower, containing six bells, and crowned by a spire. It is mostly in the early perpendicular style, and in the south aisle is a canopied monument, with a recumbent effigy of one of the Heles, and several kneeling figures. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £24. 1s. 8d., and in 1831 at £300, is in the patronage of the crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Courtenay Bulteel, who has 3A. 1R. 36P. of glebe, and an ancient residence. The tithes were commuted in 1839, – the vicarial for £340. 15s., and the rectorial for £499 per annum. Of the latter, £255 belongs to Lady Bulteel, £96 to H. R. Roe, Esq., £95 to the Rev. J. Froude, and the rest to four smaller impropriators. The rent of an acre of land, and a yearly rent-charge of 18s., are applied in repairing the church. Here are two small chapels, belonging to the Independents and Weslyans; and a school, supported by Lady Bulteel.
1850 Gazetteer of Holbeton England
MLA Source Citation:White, William. History, gazetteer, and directory of Devonshire. William White Publisher, 1850. AccessGenealogy.com. Web. 29 April 2016.
https://www.accessgenealogy.com/genealogy/1850-gazetteer-of-holbeton-england.htm- Last updated on Mar 1st, 2013
This page is part of a larger collection. Access the full collection at History Gazetteer and Directory of Devonshire 1850.