DITTISHAM, a pleasant scattered village, on the western bank of the estuary of the Dart, 3 miles N. N. W. of Dartmouth, has in its parish 917 inhabitants, and 3089 acres of land, rising boldly from the valley, and including Capton hamlet. Sir H. P. Seale is lord of the manor of Bosom Zeal; but that of Dittisham Wales belongs to the rectory. H. Studdy, W. Roope, G. Holdsworth, and P. Soper, Esqrs., and several smaller owners, have estates here, mostly freehold. Dittisham manor is dismembered, and was held by Baldwin de Bionüs, under the Bishop of Exeter, at Domesday Survey. The Church (St. George,) is an ancient structure, in the early perpendicular style, with a tower and six bells. It has recently been renovated, and new mullions, &c., inserted. The east window, and those in the north aisle have been enriched with stained glass. The pulpit is of stone, finely carved, gilt, and coloured; and the ancient screen, hagioscope, sedilia, &c., remain. The church was consecrated in 1333, and its restoration has been accomplished by the present rector, with the assistance of several liberal gifts. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £34. 15s., and in 1831 at £540, is in the patronage of the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe, and incumbency of the Hon. and Rev. Lord H. F. C. Kerr, M.A., who has a handsome residence, and 87A. 2R. 29P. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in1841, for £475 per annum. There are still some remains of a chapel in the manor house of Bosom Zeal. The Independents have a chapel in the parish. The National School was erected in 1843, in the Tudor style and is supported chiefly by the rector. The Church Lands, &c., comprise eight houses and gardens, let for £43 per annum. The poor have 5s. a year left by a Mr. Youlden
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.