DIPTFORD, a small village, on rising ground, in the vale of the river Avon, 5½ miles W.S.W. of Totnes, has in its parish 755 souls, and 4144A. 3R. 15P. of land, including many scattered farm-houses, and lying in several manors. The Rev. W.C. Johnson is lord of the manor of Diptford, formerly held by the Boteler, Courtenay, Fitzcourt, Mules, Sture, and Taylor families. The heiress of the latter married the present owner. The manor of Bendley and the barton of Stert belong to Mr. Henry Weeks, and were long the property and seat of the Heles. Diptford Court is the seat and property of Thos. Butland, Esq.; and J.S. Cornish, Esq., owns Craberton. The Rev. H. Hare has an estate and neat mansion here, called Courtis Knowle, purchased by the late W. Hare, Esq., who erected the present mansion on the site of the old farm-house. It stands on an eminence, and has extensive pleasure grounds. The Ilbert, Bartlett, Webber, and other families have estates in the parish. One acre belongs to the Queen. The Church (St. Mary,) is an ancient structure, on an eminence near the river, and has a tower containing six bells, and crowned by a handsome broach spire. It is in the perpendicular style, but nearly all the windows are modern insertions. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £29. 2s. 1d., and in 1831 at £582, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. W.C. Johnson, who has 2A. 3R. of glebe, and a large and handsome residence. The Parish Lands, &c., given for the use of the church by Walter Toker and John Hayes, in the reign of Henry VII., comprise 74A. and two houses, let for about £50 a year. The poor have a small house in the churchyard, given in the reign of Elizabeth, and a yearly rent-charge of 30s., left by R. Nosworthy, in 1727. The Parish School is supported by the rector.
1850 Gazetteer of Diptford England
MLA Source Citation:White, William. History, gazetteer, and directory of Devonshire. William White Publisher, 1850. AccessGenealogy.com. Web. 11 February 2016.
https://www.accessgenealogy.com/genealogy/1850-gazetteer-of-diptford-england.htm- Last updated on Mar 1st, 2013
This page is part of a larger collection. Access the full collection at History Gazetteer and Directory of Devonshire 1850.