CHURCHSTOW, a small village on an eminence, 2 miles N.W. of Kingsbridge, has in its parish 542 souls, and 1877 acres of land, including the small hamlet of Venn and Kingsbridge Union Workhouse, as afterwards noticed. P. S. Lowe, Esq., is lord of the manor, formerly belonging to the Petres, and has a pleasant here called White Hall; but part of the parish belongs to John Savery, Esq., and a few smaller freeholders. Ley or Leigh is an ancient house, formerly belonging to the Hayes, Aldhams, and Bickfords. The Church (St. Mary,) has a lofty tower and four bells, and is an ancient structure, in the perpendicular style. It was restored, cleansed, and beautified in 1849, at the cost of about £900. The east window is enriched with stained glass, and the whole interior has now a handsome appearance, the old pews having given place to open benches, and the new windows, &c., being in unison with the general character of the building. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £16. 16s. 11d., and in 1831 at £126, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. Rd. Luney, M.A., who has 7A. 3R. 3P. of glebe, and a good residence at Kingsbridge. The great tithes were commuted in 1839 for £328 per annum. They formerly belonged to Buckfast Abbey, and now to Ackland’s Charity. Two houses and several plots of land, vested for the repairs of the church, are let for about £17 per annum. From Acland’s Charity, the vicar has £3. 6s. 8d., and the poor £2. 12s. yearly. The poor have also an annuity of 20s., left by John Peter, out of the tithes of Cornworthy.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.