CHARLETON, a small village in two portions, on the east side of the estuary, 2 miles S.S.E. of Kingsbridge, has in its parish 703 inhabitants, and 2379A. 3R. 35P. of land, including the hamlets of Goveton and Lidestone, and part of Frogmore village, which is partly in Sherford and South Pool parishes. Lord Asburton is lord of the manor of Charleton, and that of Frogmore is claimed by Lady Sandys, but is in dispute. Part of the parish belongs to other freeholders, among whom are W. J. Clarke, W. R. Ilbert, and F. Wells, Esqrs., and John and Henry Grills. Slade, a new and handsome residence in the northern part of this parish, is the seat of Capt. Fortescue Wells, whose grandfather married the heiress of the Fortescues, of Fallapit, where his eldest son took their name. The Church (St. Mary) ia an ancient structure, with a tower and four bells. It was thoroughly renovated in 1849-50, at the cost of about £1000, when the nave and aisles were mostly rebuilt, and new windows were inserted with mullions of Caen stone. The old screen, rood loft, sedilia, and piscina, remain, and all the new parts are in unison with the old. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £31. 8s. 4d., and in 1831 at £525, is in the patronage of Lord Ashburton, and in the incumbency of the Rev. Thos. Twysden, M.A., who has a pleasant residence, and 30A. 3R. 33P. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1840 for £557 per annum. An old cottage was given at an early period by Wm. Bowring, for the use of the parish and poor.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.