Maitland McCarthy, Barrister, and first Mayor of the Town of Orangeville, was born at Oakley Park, near Dublin, May 5, 1841. His parentage, &c., may be seen in the sketch of his elder brother, D’Alton McCarthy, Barrister, found on another page. He came to Canada when about eight years old; was educated in the same grammar school, County of Simcoe; studied law with his father and D’Arcy Boulton, at Barrie; was admitted to practice in 1861, and opened an office at Orangeville, and has here been in constant practice since that date,
being called to the Bar at Michaelmas Term, 1876. He does business in all the Courts, and has had a good practice from the start. He has good abilities, is studious and well read; is of quick perceptions, and has gained for himself a high reputation and standing as a lawyer, as also in other walks of life.
Mr. McCarthy was Reeve of the Village of Orangeville four years, and when it became an incorporated town, in 1874, he was elected Mayor, serving one term and then retiring. While at the head of the Municipality of the Village and in the County Council, and while chief magistrate of the town, he gave a good deal of attention to local matters, and aided very essentially in starting and securing the completion of different enterprises of importance to Orangeville and the County.
Mr. McCarthy is a Master Mason, a churchman, and has been for several years warden of St. Mark’s Church. He is a gentleman of sterling character. His wife was Miss Jennie Frances Stewart, sister of Falkner C. Stewart, warden of the County of Dufferin married November 22, 1866. They have three children.