Seneca LaRue, one of the horticulturists of the Riverside colony, came to Riverside in 1876 and located on Arlington avenue, where he purchased a claim of forty acres of Government land for which he eventually secured a patent. Immediately upon his purchase he commenced his horticultural pursuits, first planting a vineyard and some deciduous fruits as well as oranges, but later his experience led him to uproot the deciduous trees and replace them with citrus fruits. His orange grove is about twenty-two acres in extent; fifteen acres, being above the canal, is not irrigable. The older trees are seedlings, but the greater part of his trees are budded, and vary in age from those planted in 1878 to trees planted a year ago. Mr. La Rue has engaged somewhat in raising nursery stock, from which he has made selections to stock his own orchards. His groves contain a fine class of trees with substantial bodies well pruned. He has just reason to be proud of his success. In 1888 his bearing trees produced a crop that brought over $300 per acre. The improvements on his place which constitutes his home are first-class, consisting of a substantial and well arranged two-story residence, commodious out-buildings, etc. He has added much to the comfort and beauty of his home by hedges, ornamental trees and floral productions.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Mr. La Rue is not a stranger to the Pacific coast, his first residence in California having been as early as 1850. He was born in Indiana in 1831, a son of Berrian H. and Mary (Nye) La Rue, the former a native of New Jersey and the latter of Massachusetts. Seneca La Rue was raised to farming. In 1850 he came to this State and located in the mining districts of El Dorado County. The following seven years he spent in mining, then returned to his native place, where he resumed his farming operations and led the life of an agriculturist until 1875, when he returned to California and located in Mariposa County. He again entered into mining operations, but not suited with that life he came to Riverside in 1876 and established his present residence and occupation. He is one of the enterprising and progressive citizens, and has been identified with building interests in Riverside besides his orange culture. He is well and favorably known in the community and has a large circle of friends. He is a member of the Universalist Church. In political matters he is a consistent Republican.
In 1858 Mr. La Rue married Miss Samantha Leach, a native of Indiana. They have eight children, namely: Jennie E., now Mrs. A. G. Simms, of Redlands; Sarah G., now Mrs. O. Styles, of Riverside; Sapronia A., Mary Olive, Scott W., Dwight Berry, Rexford and Irene.