Hon. John M. Morris was born near Cincinnati in 1825. His father, Isaac Morris, was born in New Jersey. He was a farmer by occupation, and had a family of eight children, of which the subject of this sketch was the youngest. When he was a boy, instead of going to college, he helped to clear away the forests and make a farm in Ohio. In March 1855, he went to Kansas and settled on a farm in Riley County. He lived there for twenty years. While in the “Sunflower” State he had the honor of representing Riley County in the Legislature 1871-’72. He was also County Assessor one term and County Treasurer twice.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
In 1848, while in Cincinnati, he married Miss Helen Milson, a native of Baltimore, whose mother came to Cincinnati at an early day.
In 1874 he sold out his interests in Kansas and came to San Bernardino County, where he purchased forty acres of land two and one-half miles from the city, on the Base Line. This property he has highly improved, and, with his son, has been in the nursery business for several years. They have a choice variety of fruit and ornamental trees. His fruit-stand at the horticultural exhibition in Los Angeles was much admired and took first premium. His fruit ranch is one of the finest in the county, comprising citrus and deciduous fruits; also a fine vineyard of raisin grapes. His home is surrounded with a great variety of ornamental shrubs and flowers. Over 100 varieties of roses and trailing vines on verandas and buildings make it a lovely home in this lovely land.
Judge Morris has nine children living; four married. Both he and his wife are members of the Congregational Church.