George P. Bessonett a prominent business man of Santa Ana, was born in Mississippi, July 21, 1850, and is the son of Edwin and Sophia (Neill) Bessonett, natives of Pennsylvania, and of French ancestry. The father was a cotton planter, and the mother was a teacher, from whom George received all of his education. The latter started out in the world for himself at the age of fifteen years, at Brookhaven, Mississippi, by clerking in a confectionery store. Subsequently he carried on the business in his own name.
Quitting that place, he went to Kansas City and learned the brick-layer’s trade, where he continued until 1872. He then went to Denver and was employed there a year and a half, and then in 1873 he came on to San Francisco. In 1875 he moved to Santa Ana, where he engaged as a contractor and builder. Nearly all the brick houses in that city were built by him. Two years ago he went into the livery business in his brick block at the corner of Fifth and West streets. Mr. Bessonett is a public-spirited and an enterprising man, taking a deep interest in the growth and development of Santa Ana, and owning valuable property in different parts of the city. His residence, a beautiful structure, is on Orange Avenue and Parton Street.
Politically he affiliates with the Democratic Party. Recently he received the nomination of Supervisor for Los Angeles County. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and of the A. O. U. W.
August 7, 1870, he married Miss Annie E. Briggs, of Mississippi. Their children are named Edwin, Ida, Hattie, Georgie, Oscar, Frank and Charley.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.