SHAUGH PRIOR is a large parish of scattered farm houses, &c., in the valley of the river Plym, and among the hills and dales at the south end of Dartmouth(sic) Forest, extending from 7 to 10 miles N.N.E. of Plymouth. Near Shaugh Bridge, on the Plym, the Dewerstone rock rears its beetling crags in majestic altitude above the channel of the Cad rivulet; and in the vicinity are other granite tors. This neighbourhood is often visited by anglers and the lovers of picturesque scenery. Revels are held here at Easter and Whitsuntide. Th parish contains souls 698 souls and 7170 acres of land. Excellent clay is got here for the china manufacturers. Sir R. Lopes, Bart. is lord of the manor, which formerly belonged to Plympton Priory. The Earl of Morley, the Rev. S. W. Pearse, and other proprietors have estates in this parish. The Church is an ancient fabric in the perpendicular style, with a tower and six bells. The perpetual curacy, valued at £107, is annexed to that of Sampford-Spiney, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor, and the incumbency of the Rev. S. W. Pearse, B.A., for whom the Rev. Hy. Colson, of the Tavistock, officiates. The patrons are appropriators of the great tithes. The parish land (6A.) and a house, were purchased in 1627 with £23 left by 35 donors. The land...Read More
Collection: History Gazetteer and Directory of Devonshire 1850
SHERFORD, a small ancient village, in a pleasant valley, three miles E. of Kingsbridge, has in its parish 450 souls, and 2326 acres of land, including part of the village of Frogmore, which is situated at the head of a navigable creek, three miles E.S.E. of Kingsbridge, and has 232 inhabitants, of whom 90 are in this parish, 77 in Charleton, and 65 in South Pool parish. Here are lime kilns, coal wharfs, and granaries, where vessels of 100 tons load and unload their cargoes. The manor is dismembered, and the parish now belongs to W. Y. Clarke, W. Pollard, and L. Howard, Esqrs., and a few smaller owners. It anciently belonged to St. Nicholas’s Priory, Exeter, and afterwards to the Willoughby, Trevelyan, and Templer families. Kennedon, an ancient farm house of the early Tudor period, was successively the seat of the Prall, Halls, and Aldam families, the latter of whom sold it to L. Howard, Esq. Its tower was taken down by the Aldams. Malston, another farm house of the same age, was the seat of a family of its own name, and afterwards of the Stighulls and Reynells. The Church (St. Martin,) is a fine specimen of the decorated style, and has a lofty tower and five bells. There are stoups to the north and south doors, and in the chancel is a fine trefoiled piscina. The...Read More
BRENT, (SOUTH) a large irregularly built village, in the valley of the small river Avon, has a station on the South Devon Railway, five miles N.E. of Ivybridge, 6 miles W. of Totnes, and 7 miles S.S.W. of Ashburton. Its parish contains 1237 souls, and about 10,100 acres of land of which 6312 acres are cultivated, and the rest open common, &c., in the south-east angle of Dartmoor Forest, where the hills rise boldly from the valleys of the Avon and Erme. The parishe includes the small hamlets of Aish, Charford, Harbournford, Lutton, Wonton, Brent Mill, and many scattered farm-houses. South Brent was formerly a market town, and has still two annual fairs, on the last Tuesdays in April and September, the former called the lamb, and the latter the goose fair, but both are extensive marts for sheep, cattle, and horses, held “under the glove,” a glove being suspended on a pole during the fairs. The manor belonged to Buckfastleigh Abbey, and was purchased by Sir Wm. Petre after the dissolution. Mr. John Elliott holds the manor of Lord Petre, but most of the land was sold in parcels many years ago, and now belongs to Sir W. P. Carew, Dr. Butter and many smaller owners. The Church (St. Patrick,) is a large ancient fabric, in the decorated style, with a low tower and six bells. The Rev....Read More
HUISH, (SOUTH) a parish of scattered houses, from 4 to 5 miles S.W. of Kingsbridge, has 368 souls, and 1150A. 2R. 14P. of land, bounded by the beach of Bigbury Bay, and including the hamlets of Silverhill, Galmpton, and Hope Cove, the latter of which is a small fishing village, where lodging-houses are about to be erected for the accomodation of sea bathers, by the Earl of Devon, who owns most of the parish, and is lord of the manors. The Church stands in a deep valley, and is an ancient edifice, with a tower and four bells. The perpetual curacy is annexed to the vicarage of West Alvington, and the tithes were commuted in 1840, the vicarial for £90, and the rectorial for £260 per annum. The latter belong to the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury, but are leased to W. R. Ilbert, Esq., At Galmpton is a small chapel and school, belonging to the Plymouth Brethren. The church has 16s. yearly from the churchwardens of Aveton-Gifford, but the donor is...Read More
MODBURY is a small ancient market town, consisting chiefly of four streets, diverging to the cardinal points, and pleasantly situated at the foot and on the sides of three acclivities, in the heart of a fertile district, 12 miles E. by S. of Plymouth, 4½ miles S.E. of Ivybridge Railway Station, seven miles N.W. of Kingsbridge, and 208 miles W.S.W. of London. Its parish contains 5977 acres of land extending westward to the navigable river Erme, and including 143A. of woodland, 181A. of orchards, 144A. of waste, and 85A. of common. Its population amounted in 1801 to 1813 souls, and in 1831 to 2116, but in 1841 they had decreased to 2048. It has a small weekly market on Thursday; a great cattle market on the second Monday of every month; and a large annual fair, for cattle, &c., on the 4th of May, if that date falls on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, and if not, on the Tuesday after. Petty Sessions are held at the White Hart Inn, every third Tuesday, by the magistrates of Ermington and Plympton Division, to whom Mr. Thomas Kelly, of Yealmpton, is clerk. Modbury is said to be an ancient borough, though neither incorporated nor represented. It sent two members to Parliament in the 34th of Edw. I., soon after which it petitioned, like many other places, to be exempt from this expense,...Read More
MORLEY, or Morleigh, a small pleasant village, six miles S.S.W. of Totnes, N.N.E. of Kingsbridge, and E. by N. of Modbury, has in its parish 202 souls, and 1487A. 2R. 24P. of land. It had anciently a market and fair, granted in 1315. The manor passed in moieties to the Ufflete and Maynard families, and the parish now belongs to the Rev. H. Hare, J. B. Swete, Esq., W. B. Fortescue, Esq., and a few smaller owners. One moiety belonged to the late Viscount Boringdon, who in 1815 was created Earl of Morley, to which title his son succeeded in 1840. Petty Sessions are held monthly, at the New Inn, for Stanborough and Coleridge division. The Church (All Saints,) is a small ancient structure, said to have been built in Edward 1st’s reign, by Sir Peter Fizacre, who, in a quarrel, killed the parson of Woodleigh, to whose parish Morley then belonged. For this crime the Pope enjoined the knight to build a church at Morleigh. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £9. 8s. 1½d., and in 1831 at £157, is in the patronage of Sir H. P. Seale, and incumbency of the Rev. E. T. Seale, of Blackauton. The glebe is 16A., and the tithes were commuted in 1842, for £150 per annum. Here is an Independent Chapel, built in 1844, but it stands in that part of...Read More
NEWTON FERRERS is a pleasant scattered village, on rising ground, at the head of a small creek from the estuary of the Yealm, 7 miles S.E. by E. of Plymouth, and 2 miles from the sea-coast. Its parish contains 778 souls, and 2991 acres of land, extending two miles northward along the east side of the estuary, and including the small hamlet of Torr, and a number of scattered farms. There are oyster-beds in the estuary, belonging to companies in London and Southampton; and a variety of other fish are taken here. The manor of Newton anciently belonged to the Ferrers family, whose co-heiress carried it in marriage to Lord St. John. It afterwards passed to the Bonville, Coplestone, Hele, and other families. It now belongs in moieties to H. R. Roe and John Holberton, Esqrs., the latter of whom has a pleasant seat, called Torr House, where his family has resided many generations. Gnaton Hall, the seat of H. R. Roe, Esq., was long the residence of the Heles, and was rebuilt about twenty years ago. It is now a handsome mansion, with extensive and well-wooded grounds. The manor of Postlinch, or Puslinch, was given by one of the Ferrers to the De Pustlinch family, from whom it passed to the Mohuns, and from the latter to the Uptons. It passed with an heiress of the latter, in...Read More
HUISH, (NORTH) is a small scattered village, picturesquely situated on the western aclivities of the Avon valley, 5 miles E. of Ivybridge, and 7 miles W.S.W. of Totnes. Its parish contains 483 souls, and 2662A. 2R. 27P. of land, including Lupridge, and part of Newhouse hamlet. The manor, formerly held by the Damarell, Trenchard, and other families, was purchased by Richard King, Esq., in 1786, and now belongs to Thomas King, Esq., of the Manor House, which has been modernised and improved. Wm. Bowden Esq., owns Norris, Coombe, and other estates ; and Blackhall is the handsome residence of Jas. Cornish, Esq., and has a stuccoed front and Doric portico. Boterford, now called Butterford, is a large mansion, formerly the seat of a family of its own name, and afterwards of the Strodes and Palks, the latter of whom rebuilt the mansion about 1790. It is now occupied, and belongs to the represenattives of the late T. Kingwell. The Church is an ancient structure, with a tower, containing five bells, and crowned by a spire. It is in the decorated style, and was renovated in 1845, when a fine east window was inserted, and a beautiful altar screen erected. The west gallery and small organ were erected in 1848, and all the windows are modern insertions, except that at the west end. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £28....Read More
RATTERY, or Rattrey, a small village on an eminence, four miles W. by N. of Totnes, has in its parish 485 souls, and 2823A. 3R. 23P. of land. Marley House, a large and handsome stuccoed mansion, with a fine lawn, is the residence of the Dowager Lady Carew, who is daughter and heiress of the late Walter Palk, Esq., and carried the manor of Rattery and other estates to the late Sir Henry Carew, Bart. Her eldest son Sir W. P. Carew, is now lord of the manor, but part of the soil belongs to R. Brown, Esq., and a few smaller owners. The Church is an ancient structure, with a tower, containing four bells, and crowned by a small spire. It has been repaired by Lady Carew, and has now a handsome appearance. Some of its windows have lately been decorated with stained glass. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £14. 10s., and in 1831 at £240, is in the patronage of Sir. W. P. Carew, and incumbency of the Rev. R. P. Carew, who has a good residence and 60A. 3R. 5P. of glebe. The tithes have been commuted, the vicarial for £200, and the rectorial for £189. 9s. The latter belong to Lady Carew. There are two houses, a garden, and a field, vested for the repairs of the church; and a small Almshouse for six...Read More
REVELSTOKE parish has its church on the sea coast, near Stoke Point and Bigbury Bay, but most of its inhabitants are in the large fishing village of NOSS MAYO, which lies in a low situation, on the south side of a creek from the mouth of the Yealm, opposite Newton Ferrers, nine miles S.E. of Plymouth. Crabs, lobsters, herrings, and other fish are caught at Noss Mayo, where the villagers suffered severely from cholera in 1849, when about 50 of them died, and more than 200 were afflicted with the dreadful malady. Liberal subscriptions were made for the relief of the sufferers, and a medical gentleman was sent down from London to their assistance. The parish had 613 inhabitants in 1841, and contains 1470A. 2R. 19P. of land. The manor of Revelstoke was long the property and seat of the Revells, and was sold about 12 years ago, by Sir J. Perring, to its present owner, Robert Robertson, Esq., of Membland. W. W. Pendarves, Esq., owns the manor of Lambside, and part of the parish belongs to a few smaller owners. The Church is an ancient structure, with a belfry and two bells; and in Noss Mayo, is a small Chaple of Ease, erected in 1839. The benefice is a perpetual curacy, consolidated with the vicarage of Yealmpton. Here is 4A. 3R. 37P. of glebe, but no parsonage. The...Read More
MARLDON, a small village, 5 miles E.N.E. of Totnes, has in its parish 470 souls, and 2254 acres of land, including the village of Compton, a mile N. by W. of the church. Parkfield House is the pleasant seat of Francis Garrett, Esq., who owns a great part of the parish, and, a few years ago, purchased the ancient mansion called Compton Castle, now occupied by his gardener. This castellated house was the seat of Sir Maurice de Pole, in the reign of Henry II., and it was afterwards held by the Comptons, Gilberts, and Templers. The manor of Stanton belongs to Chas. H. Mallock, Esq ; and Wm. Randell, Esq., and several smaller freeholders have estates here. The Church is an ancient structure, with a tower and four bells, and the benefice is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Paignton. The poor have 1½A. of land, given by an unknown donor, and 6s. 8d. yearly from Kelly’s Gift...Read More
MALBOROUGH is a small village, on an eminence, partly in West Alvington parish, about two miles from Salcombe Haven, and four miles S.S.W. of Kingsbridge.Its parish contains 1951 inhabitants, and 4890 acres of land, bounded on the south side by the English Channel, between Bolt Head and Tail, and including the small hamlets of Coombe, Collaton, Rew, Bolbury, Batson, and Shadycombe; and the small town, sea-port, fishing station, and chapelry of SALCOMBE, which is pleasantly and picturesquely situated on the western side of the estuary, which runs up to Kingsbridge, and sends several creeks from either side. Salcombe has now about 1500 inhabitants, though it had only 972 in 1841. It is considered the warmest place on the south-west coast, as oranges, lemons, and American aloes bloom in the open air, in the pleasure grounds of Woodville and the Moult. To the lovers of coast scenery, there are many wild and romantic spots between Prawle Point on the east, and Bigbury Bay on the west. Salcombe is a port under Dartmouth, and has a custom house, built in 1848; a coast guard station; a market-house, with a public room over it, erected in 1848, at the cost of £600; a shipping insurance association, established in 1831; three ship building yards, many good shops and neat houses, and several handsome marine villas. It is the out-port of Kingsbridge, to which...Read More
LODDISWELL is a considerable village, pleasantly situated on rising ground on the western side of the vale of the Avon, 3 miles N.N.W. of Kingsbridge. Its parish contains 1013 souls, and 3568 acres of land, exclusive of the township of Buckland-Toutsaints, which is afterwards noticed. The manor of Loddiswell is in two moieties, belonging to Mrs. E. Wise and Mr. Thos. Harris; that of Webbiton belongs to Sir W. P. Carew, and that of Staunton to the Rev. C. Osmond; but several smaller owners have estates here. In 1463, Thos. Gyll had license to castellate his house of Hach Arundell, and enclose a park; but it has long been reduced to a farm-house. Hazelwood, a large and handsome mansion, with extensive grounds, is the seat of Rd. Peek, Esq., who erected it in 1830, after retiring from business as a merchant in London. Yellow Ochre is manufactured here, and in the parish is a copper mine, which was opened 25 years ago, and was taken by a numerous company of adventurers in 1836, but has lately been closed. Blackdown hill, at the north end of the parish, commands extensive views, and has evident traces of an entrenchment. The Church (St. Michael,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and five bells. It retains many of its old oak seats, and contains several tablets in memory of the Wise family...Read More
LITTLE HEMPSTON, a small scattered village, in a valley opening to the Dart, 2 miles N.E. of Totnes ; has in its parish 268 souls, and 1270A. 3R. 17P. of fertile land. The manor, anciently held by the Arundells, belongs to the Duke of Cleveland and the Countess of Sandwich ; but F. Cornish, Esq., and other freeholders have estates here. Gatcomb, a seat which was rebuilt by the late C. Cornish, Esq., was the birth place of Zachary Bogan, a learned divine, who published treatises on the idioms of Homer and Hesiod. The Church (St. John,) is a small antique fabric, and the living is a small antique fabric, and the living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £19 15s. 2½d., and in 1831 at £201, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. F. H. Hele, M.A. The glebe is 56A. 2R. 11P., and the tithes were commuted in 1838 for £207 per annum. £138, left to the poor by Cphr. Blackhall, and other donors, was laid out in 1727, in the purchase of Dreadon close, (10A.) now let for about £13 a year. The poor parishioners have also a yearly rent charge of £9. 5s. 6d., out of the great tithes of Berry Pomeroy, left by William Bogan, in 1723. They have likewise the dividends of £111. 2s. 3d. Old South...Read More
KINGSWEAR is a remarkably small parish, on a point of land projecting into the river Dart, opposite Dartmouth, and contracting the entrance to the harbour. It contains only 270 inhabitants, and 107A. 2R. 10P. of land. J. F. Luttrell, Esq., is chief owner and lord of the manor, which was anciently a royal demense, and had a small castle or fort, the walls of which are still standing, and near them are the ruins of another fort, where tradition says, the chain was fixed to prevent hostile ships from entering the harbour. On the brow of the hill, overlooking the village, are some embankments, which were thrown up during the siege of Dartmouth, in 1646. The Beacon, an elegant mansion, built in 1848, on a delightful eminence, overlooking the Dart, is the seat of A. H. Holdsworth, Esq. The Church (St. Thomas a Beckett,) was rebuilt at the cost of £1600, in 1847, except the tower, which contains a clock and three bells. It is in the decorated style, and is neatly fitted up with open benches, &c. The perpetual curacy, valued in 1831, at £99, is in the patronage of the Vicar of Brixham, and incumbency of the Rev. John Smart. The Church Lands, &c., have been vested in trust from an early period, and comprise four houses, nine gardens, and about half an acre of land, let...Read More
- Alabama Genealogy
- Alaska Genealogy
- Arizona Genealogy
- Arkansas Genealogy
- California Genealogy
- Colorado Genealogy
- Connecticut Genealogy
- Delaware Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy
- Hawaii Genealogy
- Idaho Genealogy
- Illinois Genealogy
- Indiana Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy
- Kansas Genealogy
- Kentucky Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy
- Maine Genealogy
- Maryland Genealogy
- Massachusetts Genealogy
- Michigan Genealogy
- Minnesota Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy
- Missouri Genealogy
- Montana Genealogy
- Nebraska Genealogy
- Nevada Genealogy
- New Hampshire Genealogy
- New Jersey Genealogy
- New Mexico Genealogy
- New York Genealogy
- North Carolina Genealogy
- North Dakota Genealogy
- Ohio Genealogy
- Oklahoma Genealogy
- Oregon Genealogy
- Pennsylvania Genealogy
- Rhode Island Genealogy
- South Carolina Genealogy
- South Dakota Genealogy
- Tennessee Genealogy
- Texas Genealogy
- Utah Genealogy
- Vermont Genealogy
- Virginia Genealogy
- Washington Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy
- Wyoming Genealogy
Free Genealogy Archives
- Virginia High School YearbooksFebruary 22, 2017The following collection of free high school yearbooks and annuals from the state of Virginia comes from the collection of the Library of Virginia. ...
- History and Genealogy of Blue Hill, MaineAugust 29, 2016From the record of the town’s annual meeting held “March 6, 1769”, we learn that it was “Voted that Joseph Wood, Jonathan ...
- 1776-1805 Dutchess County, New York Marriage RecordsAugust 11, 2016These marriage records were transcribed by Lester Card and compiled in 1949. Mr. Card’s introduction to this transcription reads: “These ...
- The Stillwater Messenger, 1861-1874April 27, 2016In the valedictory of A. J. Van Vorhes, written when he sold the Stillwater Messenger plant to Willard S. Whitmore, I find it stated that the first ...
- Yearbooks of the Bayport-Blue Point High School, 1945-2011April 20, 2016The Bayport-Blue Point Public Library has digitized 65 years of yearbooks from the Bayport-Blue Point High School. The books have been scanned and ...
- Monroe County, New York Cemetery RecordsApril 8, 2016The extensive online listings for Monroe County, New York cemetery records should provide researchers with a clear picture of what is still ...
- Calloway County Missouri High School YearbooksApril 6, 2016The Daniel Boone Regional Library has digitized almost 100 years of yearbooks from community schools. The books have been scanned and uploaded in ...
- Boone County Missouri High School YearbooksApril 6, 2016The Daniel Boone Regional Library has digitized almost 100 years of yearbooks from community schools. The books have been scanned and uploaded in ...
- A Genealogy of Isaac Elbert BrushSeptember 22, 2015Two publications of, one typescript, and one handwritten manuscript for the Brush genealogy entitled, A Concise Genealogy of Isaac Elbert Brush and ...
- Progressive Men of Western ColoradoJune 10, 2015This manuscript in it’s basic form is a volume of 948 biographies of prominent men and women, all leading citizens of Western Colorado. Western ...