James A. Wilson, a native son of Oklahoma and a member of one of the pioneer families of the state, has devoted his entire life to agricultural pursuits, gaining that specialized knowledge which makes him an authority in his line of work, and his farm, which is situated in the Young’s Lake district, is well improved and supplied with modern equipment. He was born in the eastern part of Indian Territory, October 13, 1868, of the marriage of Isaac and Navey Wilson, pioneer settlers of the state, both of whom have passed away.
Mr. Wilson is of Delaware extraction, and his education was acquired in the schools of Oklahoma. Upon starting out in life on his own account he took up the, occupation of farming, which he has since followed, and in 1904 purchased his present place, which is situated three miles west of Copan. He has a thirty acre tract and three of his children have fifty acres each, while another owns sixty acres, all of the land adjoining his property. This is farmed as one tract, on which they raise wheat, corn and oats, and also engage in the breeding of hogs and cattle. Mr. Wilson has a fine home situated on a prominence overlooking Young’s lake and is a practical, progressive farmer. He is thoroughly familiar with agricultural conditions of his section and knows the best methods of coping with them, never allowing a foot of his land to be unproductive. Upon his property he has two oil wells, while his daughter Edna has three and her sisters, Pearl and Della, each have nine.
In 1891 Mr. Wilson was united in marriage to Miss Emma Burgess, a native of Missouri, and they have become the parents of four children: Pearl, who is the wife of Wesley Burrow, of Copan; Edna, at home; Della, who married Dewey Bockions, of Osage County; and Ella M., who is still with her parents. In 1912 Mr. Wilson adopted a son, Benjamin B., a lad of thirteen, who is now attending school. He has worked diligently and persistently as the years have passed, and his industry has been the basic element in his present-day success.