Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Leander W. Cogswell, an influential resident of Henniker and a native of the town, was born November 18, 1825, son of David and Hannah (Haskell) Cogswell. After receiving his education in the academies of Henniker and Francestown, he taught school for several terms. In 1849 he went to California. Returning in 1854, he was engaged in a mercantile business in Henniker until July, 1861, when he was appointed route agent from Hillsborough Bridge to Manchester.
On the 13th of August, 1862, he enlisted as a private in Company D, Eleventh New Hampshire Volunteers. September 4, 1862, he was commissioned Captain of the same company; and on August 20, 1864, he was commissioned Lieutenant Colonel of his regiment. Following the fortunes of the regiment in the Ninth Army Corps, he participated in its memorable battles, sieges, and marches. During the last campaign of the Major-general S. G. Griffin, commanding the Second Brigade, Second Division of the Ninth Army Corps.
In 1866, 1867, 1870, and 1871, Mr. Cogswell represented his town in the legislature. In 1871 and 1872 he was State Treasurer, and from 1876 to 1881 he was one of the Savings Bank Commissioners. He was made a Justice of the Peace in 1876, and he has held several municipal offices. Besides giving much time and thought to public questions and to the discharge of his official duties, Mr. Cogswell has been an active member of various organizations. He was elected a member of the New Hampshire Historical Society, and he was President of the New Hampshire Antiquarian Society. For many years he was Master of Aurora Lodge, No. 43, A. F. & A. M.; and High Priest of Wood’s Chapter, No. 14, Royal Arch Masons. Taking an earnest interest in educational matters, he was often Superintendent of Schools and a member of the School Board for several years under the town system. Mr. Cogswell has also done considerable literary work. He is master of a pleasing style, and is the author of the History of Henniker, N.H., a volume of several hundred pages; and of the History of the Eleventh New Hampshire Volunteers. In addition to these he has published several addresses delivered by him before various societies. On the 17th of May, 1853, Mr. Cogswell married Mary S., daughter of Oliver and Anna (Smith) Pillsbury, since which event he has made his home in Henniker.
O. P. & C. W. Redington, manufacturers of carriage hubs at Roby’s Corner in Warner, have for several years continued a business which was first established in Wenham, Mass., by Adam Redington. Adam Redington, grandfather of Oliver Patch Redington, whose name occupies the place of senior partner in that of the firm, was for many years a manufacturer in Wenham. Afterward he removed to Sunapee, Sullivan County, N.H., where he established a mill, and carried on his work until his death. He was succeeded in business by his son John. John transferred the business to Hopkinton, and thence to a mill on the North Road in Sutton, where his son, Oliver P., assisted him and learned the business.