The subject of this sketch was born February 17, 1840, in Tahlequah district, Cherokee Nation, eldest son of O. W. Lipe, of Fort Gibson, and Catherine Gunter. De Witt attended public school until twelve years of age, when he went to Cane Hill, Arkansas, and there remained two sessions, after which he entered the Male Seminary at Tahlequah, leaving there at fifteen years of age. Although but a boy De Witt commenced clerking in a general mercantile establishment, and continued the business until he was eighteen years of age, when he started in cattle on his own responsibility with a stock of 150 head, and continued until after the war, when he established a mercantile house in Coowescoowee district, carrying on the business until 1870. In that year he moved to his present home, seven miles north of Claremore, still merchandizing and stock-raising, until 1884, when he sold his store and its effects, and is now devoting his attention to stock and agriculture. Mr. Lipe has been district clerk and senator, the latter for two years. In 1879 he was elected treasurer of the nation, and held that position for four years. In 1885 he was again elected to the Senate, and in 1887 was commissioner of citizenship. Mr. Lipe married Miss V. Hicks, daughter of Elijah Hicks, in September 1861. She was niece of Chief John Ross. By their marriage they have one son, named John Gunter Lipe. In March 1890, Mr. Lipe married Miss Mary Archer, granddaughter of Second Chief Joseph Vann. By this marriage they have three children, Annie, Victoria, and Lola. Mr. Lipe owns 450 acres in cultivation and between 400 and 500 head of cattle and some forty head of horses and a comfortable residence. He has also town property at Vinita and Fort Gibson. Mr. Lipe is a man of great business ability and has a good, practical education; he is extremely popular among his people.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.