R. L. GOODE. Of the many members of the bench and bar in the West, none has awakened more respect for his character and ability than R. L.Goode, of Springfield, Missouri He is descended from a long line of honorable ancestors who were noted for their patriotism and love of liberty.
The family of Goode first became represented in this country by two brothers who, on account of their religious belief, were compelled to leave England in 1648. They settled at Norfolk, Virginia, where some member of the family has resided to the present day. The original home of the family was at Whitery, Yorkshire, England, but after coming to America they identified themselves with American interests and upon the opening of the Revolutionary War several members of the family served in the Patriot Army, Richard S. Goode, the great-grandfather of the subject of this sketch, being a colonel in the Continental Army. The grandfather, who also bore the name of Richard S. Goode, took an important part in the War of 1812, under Col. Richard Johnson, who was also a participant in the famous Black Hawk War. Richard S. Goode at an early day settled in the wilds of Kentucky and made his home in Henry County until 1860, from which time until 1868 Jefferson County, of the same State, became his home, following which his residence was in Jefferson County, Missouri He has always been a Democrat in politics, is still living and is a resident of Springfield, which place he has called his home for the past six years. He was united in marriage to Miss Martitia E. Guthrie, and by her he became the father of four children, a daughter named Virginia dying in infancy; Martitia, who lived to maturity, a son who died in infancy and R. L., who is the only surviving member of this family. The mother of these children died in Lawrence County, Missouri, in 1876. William T. Goode was born in Henry County, Kentucky In the late Civil War there were 100 men by the name of Goode who took part in the struggle and all but three were members of the Confederate Army.
R. L. Goode was born in Henry County, Kentucky, February 4, 1855, and up to the age of twelve years his life was spent on a farm. At that time his father moved to Missouri and he was soon after put to school in Jefferson College, Kentucky, and later graduated from Drury College in 1876. Following this he was principal of the Springfield schools for two years, from 1876 to 1878, 1879 being spent as principal of the schools. Immediately thereafter he began the practice of law, having prepared himself for this profession with Col. Jerry Cravens, and the day he was admitted to the bar he became a partner with his preceptor, and since that time they have been associated, and during these long years that he has been a member of the bar he has handled many important law cases and almost without exception has brought them to a termination in favor of his client. He is a gentleman of high personal character, and literary and legal attainments. He is possessed of a judicial cast of mind, a clear insight, cautious and deliberate judgment, and a thoroughness which leaves no effort untried in the management of business intrusted to him; is a clear and forcible debater, and both in court and public life exercises a marked and increasing influence; a man of courteous and pleasing manners, upright in character, and public spirited in all his actions. He has been employed on some of the most important cases that have come up in the West, and in connection with Col. John A. Day assisted in the defense of the St. Louis & Frisco Railroad, in what was known as the” Granger Cases,” growing out of alleged exorbitant freight charges. He was also attorney for the Springfield Gas Light Company in litigation, which has become a part of the history of the city, assisted in the defense of John W. Vaughn and Theodore Morrison, as well as taking part in similar important cases. Not only is he attorney for the Springfield Gas Light Company, but also the Springfield Electric Light Company, the Springfield Wagon Company and the Central National Bank. He is a director in the Gas and Electric Light Companies, the Central National Bank, and is interested in other enterprises of importance. He is a large real estate owner in city and country property, and has shown excellent judgment in looking after his business affairs. His long practice has made him a wise counselor and valuable assistant for many of the lawyers who seek his advice. Mr. Goode was married in 1885 to Miss Estella B. Maurer, daughter of Manuel Maurer, of this city. She is a native of Fremont, Ohio, and has borne her husband two children: Grace, who is seven years of age, and Katherine, who is three years old. Mr. Goode and his family attend the Calvary Presbyterian Church, of which Mrs. Goode is a member. They have a pretty and home-like residence at 588 East Walnut Street, where they dispense a generous and sincere hospitality.