Location: Morristown Vermont

Biographical Sketch of Hon. Vernon W. Waterman

Hon. Vernon W. Waterman was born in Johnson, Vt., July 30, 1811. When three years of age he went with his farther to Montpelier, Vt., to live, and remained there until nineteen years of age, when he came to Morristown to reside with his uncle, Hon. David P. Noyes, who was engaged in mercantile pursuits. At the age of twenty-one years he entered into partnership with Mr. Noyes, continuing the connection about eight years, when he engaged in business for himself, at Cady’s Falls. For his first wife Mr. Waterman married Adaline Cady, of Stowe, by whom he had two children, George L., now an attorney-at-law, of Hyde Park, and Caroline E., wife of Hon. H. H. Powers, of Morrisville. Mrs. Waterman died April 23, 1843 , Mr. Waterman then married Amanda S. Wales, daughter of Hon. Geo. E. Wales, of Hartford, Vt., February 26, 1846, this union being blessed with three children, only one of whom is now living. Mr. Waterman has held many positions of trust, among which that of representative in the legislature for 1844-’45, he was also assistant judge of the county court two terms, sheriff two terms, and has been postmaster at Cady’s Falls ever since the office was established there, in 1858. He has also attended every court held in Lamoille county since its organization, in 3835, was court auditor for nearly thirty...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Timothy Terrill

Timothy Terrill, from Fletcher, Vt., came to Morristown in the autumn of 1817, resided here until 1828, when he removed to Underhill, where he died, about 1833. Moses, son of Timothy, born May 9, 1799, came here with his father and located upon the farm now owned by his son, N. A. Terrill, on road 2, where he resided until about 1848, when he removed to the farm now occupied by R. S. Gallup, and a few years previous to his death located in Cady’s Falls. Moses married Matilda Weld, by whom he had three children, two of whom are living. For his second wife he married Minerva Calkins, rearing seven children, four of whom are living. He was possessed of strict integrity, was an excellent judge of property, strictly temperate, economical and just in all his dealings, and by the exercise of these virtues he not only gained the regard and affection of his neighbors, but also amassed a handsome property. He never sought office, but was frequently elected as one of the selectmen and listers. In his early years he was identified in politics with the then popular Democratic party, and was elected and served as a member of the legislature, in 1843. When the question of the extension of slavery was agitated he espoused the cause of universal freedom, and has been a member of the...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Isaac Allen

Isaac Allen, from Randolph, Vt., came to Morristown in 1818, and located upon the farm now owned by his son, Ephraim E. He reared a family of six children, all of whom are living. He died May 28, 1871, aged eighty-two years. His wife died February 11, 1845, aged forty-three years. Ephraim E. was born here in 1822, married Ruth M. Loveland, and has two...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of John West

John West, from Northfield, Vt., came to Morristown in 1837, where he resided until his death, in 1869, aged seventy-three years. Mr. West held many of the town offices, discharging his duties in a most acceptable manner. His son is now proprietor of the Vermont...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Lebbens Spaulding

Lebbens Spaulding, from New Hampshire, came to Morristown in 1810, and settled upon the farm now occupied by Frank Spaulding, on road 80, where he resided until his death, about 1868. Of his family of eight children, four are now living. Charles, in Craftsbury, Vt., J. W., Jefferson, and Isaac, in this town. Lebbens was captain of a militia company for many years, and . built upon his farm the second saw-mill erected in the...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Solomon Stow

Solomon Stow, from New Hampshire, came to this town about 1812, and located near the central part of the town, where he reared a family of ten children. He was born November 19, 1777, and died July 27, 3845. None of his family except Haven P. are now living. He was born June 28, 1820, married a Miss Bridge, and has two children, Fluella R. and Anna...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Stephen Gile

Stephen Gile came to Morristown, from Lebanon, N. H., in 1826, and located upon the farm now owned by his son, Eli B. He reared a family of nine children, and died in 1870. His wife died during the same year. Two of their children now reside in the. town, Abigail, wife of James Cross, and S. S., the third selectman of the town. S. S. has also been a justice of the peace several...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Ezekiel Vincent

Ezekiel Vincent, from Norwich, Vt., came to Morristown in 1843, and located upon the farm now owned by his adopted son, I. T. Vincent, on road 26, where he resided until his death, November 15, 1880, aged one hundred years, two months and eleven days. I. T. Vincent married Irene Haskell, by whom he had five children, two now living. For his second wife he married Caroline Green, who also bore him five children, two now living. His third wife, Adelia Foster, resides with him on the old...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Nathan Grout

Nathan P. Grout, son of Dexter Grout, was born in Elmore, March I I 1827. In 1859, he married Melissa S. Smith, of Morristown, and located at Morristown Corners. In 1863, he removed to Morrisville, where he subsequently died of heart disease. Three of his five children are now living, Burton W., Walter D., and Roy...

Read More

History of Morristown, Lamoille County, Vermont

MORRISTOWN, an irregularly outlined town in the central part of the county, lies in latitude 44 32′, and longitude 4° 20′, bounded north easterly by Hyde Park, southeasterly by Elmore, southwesterly by Stowe, and northwesterly by Johnson and Cambridge. It was granted November 6, 1780, and chartered to Moses Morse and sixty-four associates, August 24, 1781, containing 23,040 acres, until November 14, 1855, when a portion of Sterling was annexed to its territory. Sterling was a township chartered February 25, 1782, and settlement commenced therein in 1792. The people, however, soon grew tired of a separate organization. The first division of the township was made October 30, 1828, when, by an act of the legislature, two miles from the western part of the township were set to Cambridge. This was a mountainous part of the town, and included Smuggler’s Notch. November 14, 1855, the remainder of the town was divided between and annexed to Johnson, Morristown and Stowe. When the town voted to divide and annex to other towns, the vote stood forty for and ten against, so the town surrendered its organization, and all its records were left in the Morristown archives. In surface Morristown is moderately uneven, except in the western part, the portion annexed from Sterling, where it is quite uneven. The soil is of good quality and easily cultivated, rendering the town, in point of...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Peleg Scofield

Peleg Scofield, born July 14, 1779, came to Elmore, from Hartford, Conn., about the year 1800, and located upon a farm on road 19, now the property of R. B. Goodell. Here he resided until 1844, when he removed to Morristown, where he subsequently died. He reared a family of fourteen children, of whom only one, John G., living on road 18, now resides in the...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Samuel Bryant

Samuel Bryant, from Woodstock, Vt., came to Emore in 1824, and settled upon the farm owned by Benjamin Davis, on road 19. Here he resided for a few years, then removed to Morristown, where he cleared up the farm now the property of Alfred Dodge. In 1845, he returned to Elmore, remained here five years, then removed to Franklin county, N. Y., where he died, in April, 1882, aged about ninety-two years. His wife died five days later, aged over ninety-three years. Of their family of six children, three are now living, one, Joseph W., in this town. He was born, March 10, 1816, married Laura M. C. Camp, daughter of Dr. Joel Camp, and has three children, two sons and one daughter. Joseph W. has held most of the town offices, and in connection with his farming enterprises, has practiced law for forty...

Read More


Free Genealogy Archives

It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Pin It on Pinterest