Location: Los Angeles California

Biography of George A. Wilbur

George A. Wilbur, an enterprising citizen of Chino, is the founder and sole proprietor of the Chino Store, opened to the public in February, 1888, since which time he has conducted one of the most prosperous enterprises in that section. His large and commodious store is well appointed in all respects, and is well stocked with a choice selection of goods. He deals in provisions, groceries, dry goods and everything in the general merchandise line, furnishing goods, boots and shoes, crockery, tin-ware, hardware, cigars, tobacco, etc. He is thoroughly competent in his business, and justly merits the liberal patronage bestowed upon him by the residents of Chino and vicinity. He is also Wells, Fargo & Co.’s Express agent, and the Postmaster of Chino. Mr. Wilbur is a native of California, dating his birth in 1865, near Redwood City, San Mateo County. His parents, John and Hannah W. (Pratt) Wilbur, are natives of Massachusetts. They came to California in 1864 and located in San Mateo County, where they resided until 1874, and then moved to Riverside, where they have since resided. ‘The subject of this sketch was reared and schooled in that enterprising colony, becoming a practical horticulturist in his youth. When eighteen years of age he entered into mercantile life as a clerk in his brother’s store at Riverside, and in 1885 engaged in business under the firm name...

Read More

Hochbrueckner, Thomas Peter “Tom” – Obituary

Baker City, Oregon Thomas Peter “Tom” Hochbrueckner, 79, of Baker City died Wednesday, Sept. 8, 2004, at St. Elizabeth Health Services. His graveside memorial service will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at Mount Hope Cemetery. The Rev. James R. Watt of St. Francis de Sales Cathedral will officiate. Tom was born on Jan. 5, 1925, at Estacada. His father died when he was 5 and the family moved to Brooklyn, N.Y. During the Depression years, he gained experience by working jobs out of the city during the summer. He worked in a crab canning factory in Maryland, on a small truck farm in upstate New York and as a waiter in a vacation boarding home in Pennsylvania. He returned to Oregon and graduated from Estacada High School. After graduation, he entered the U.S. Navy where he served until the end of World War II. He was recalled to service during the Korean conflict. After his discharge from the Navy, he entered the automotive parts distribution industry in the Los Angeles area. In 1968, he took a position as parts distribution manager with Kaiser Jeep Corp. in Portland. He retired from the position in 1985 after several assignments across the nation and back. Tom will always be remembered as “the only native Oregonian with a Brooklyn accent.” He was preceded in death by his mother, father and three wives, Lorraine,...

Read More

Biography of David H. Wixom

David H. Wixom, the tenth of a family of twelve children of Nathan J. and Betsy (Hadlock) Wixom, was born in 1848 in Council Bluffs, Iowa. In 1850 his parents started with their family, consisting then of ten children, to cross the plains to California. They loaded three ox teams and one horse team with their effects, and brought fifty cows, ten head of horses and a small flock of sheep over as far as Salt Lake, where they spent the winter, and there their eleventh child, Charles W. Wixom, was born. In the spring of 1852 they resumed their journey to the Golden State, and settled in Monterey County, near San Juan Mission, and lived there two years, Mrs. Wixom and her daughters carrying on the dairy business with their cows, making butter and cheese, which they sold at very high prices, to go to the mines. They also kept a public house for the entertainment of travelers. Mr. Wixom devoted his attention to mining. In the spring of 1854 they removed to Los Angeles and two years later came to San Bernardino, and settled on a half block of land they purchased on the corner of Ninth and F streets. In 1857 Mr. Wixom sold out and took his family to Salt Lake, but returned to San Bernardino in August 1858, having been gone ten months. He...

Read More

Biography of Jacob Polhemus

Jacob Polhemus, deceased, was one of the pioneers of Colton, who located in that thriving city when the only buildings in the place were a saloon and eating-house, and the Pioneer Lumber Yard office. This was in 1875. He was a carpenter and builder by occupation, and was employed in the erection of the pioneer buildings of Colton. He built the first store opened in the town for Hathaway & Davenport, and many other well-known old-time buildings. In 1877 Mr. Polhemus purchased lots on the corner of Eighth and I streets and built his residence and shop upon them. This location, as the city enlarged, became valuable as a business center, and in 1886 he erected the well-known Polhemus block, a fine two-story edifice devoted to business and office purposes. This block was the first brick business block erected in the city. He was one of the leaders in building up the city, and a liberal and strong supporter of Colton enterprises. He was one of the stockholders and original incorporators of the Colton Building and Loan Association that has done so much to encourage improvement in the city. In his enterprise in Colton he was successful, and secured a modest but well deserved competency. His business was always characterized by a manly and straightforward dealing that secured him hosts of friends and gained him the respect of the...

Read More

Biography of Mrs. Ellen Woods Crafts Meacham

Mrs. Ellen Woods Crafts Meacham. This lady, who, with her husband and family, occupies as a residence one of the old landmarks of the county (the well known Crafton Retreat), is a native of Jackson, Michigan, and daughter of Myron Harwood and Miranda (Capen) Crafts. Her father, who was born in Whately, the family seat, was a man of great force of character. He came to San Bernardino County when the country was new, locating at the place which took his name, and left the impress of his character indelibly upon the community. His unusual business ability, while securing for him ample means and property, could have enabled him to accumulate a much vaster fortune had his inclinations run more to hoarding. He established his home at the place which took the name of “Crafton Retreat,” a spot of great natural beauty, which has been rather enhanced than detracted from by the hand of man. He had a clear foresight of the great future which was in store for the community of his adopted home, and his judgment was verified even before his death, which occurred in this county. He was one of the early members of the Republican Party, and during the war stood manfully by his convictions, though he and a Mr. Robbins at that time cast the only Republican votes in the county. His daughter, Mrs....

Read More

Biography of Reverday J. Pierson

Reverday J. Pierson, junior member and business manager of the well-known firm of Holmes & Pierson, the editors and proprietors of the Riverside Daily Press and Weekly Horticulturist, of Riverside, is a native of Licking County, Ohio, and was born in 1848. When a child his parents moved to Springfield, Illinois, and thence in 1857 to Poweshiek County, Iowa. He was engaged in his attendance in the public schools until fifteen years of age, and then apprenticed to the printers trade at Montezuma, Iowa. After serving his apprenticeship, he commenced his travels as a journeyman, and was engaged on the Chicago Tribune, and also several job offices in Chicago and St. Louis. In 1866 his roving disposition prompted him to enter the United States military service, and he enlisted in the Fifth United States Cavalry. The next two years was spent with his regiment on the Pacific coast and in the Territories, being stationed in Idaho, Montana, Oregon and California, his first advent in Southern California in 1868, at which time he was the hospital steward of Drum Barracks at Wilmington. In 1869 he was honorably discharged from the service, and after some months working at his trade in San Francisco, Sacramento and Marysville, returned to his home in Iowa. Shortly after his arrival there he established the Malcolm Gazette, which he later consolidated with the Montezuma Republican, and...

Read More

Biography of L. M. Holt

L. M. Holt was born August 9, 1840, in the town of Sylvan, Washtenaw County, Michigan, near where now stands the town of Chelsea. His parents, natives of Connecticut, immigrated to Michigan while this was still a Territory. In 1852 the father died at Hillsdale, leaving five children. From the age of fourteen the subject of this sketch depended upon his own resources for maintenance and education. Attending the Hillsdale College from 1856 to 1859, he then went to Iowa, where he learned the printing business in the office of the Eagle, Vinton, Iowa. In 1860 he was married to Miss Libbie J. Graves. Spending three years in teaching he was elected in 1863 Superintendent of Schools of Vinton County, having under his charge over 100 schools during his incumbency in 1864 and 1865. In 1866 he established the Dallas County Gazette at Adel, Iowa, which he published for one year; then, selling out here, he removed to Boone, Iowa, purchased the Index, changed its name to the Standard, and published it for some little time, retiring in the spring of 1868. He was now elected a delegate to the Republican National Convention which placed General Grant in nomination for his first Presidential term. In 1869 Mr. Holt came to financial wreck, in the endeavor to publish a Prohibition newspaper in Marshalltown, Iowa; and in December of that year...

Read More

Biography of Fenton M. Slaughter

Fenton M. Slaughter is one of the well-known and prominent men of San Bernardino County. A brief review of his life is one of interest in the annals of Southern California. Mr. Slaughter was born January 10, 1826, a descendant from an old colonial family of Virginia, who emigrated from England in 1616. His father, Robin Lewis Slaughter, was born in Culpeper County, Virginia, April 25, 1779, the son of Robin and Ann Slaughter. October 25, 1803, he married Miss Elizabeth Gillem, a native of Rockbridge County, Virginia. He died in 1834, leaving a family of eleven children for his widow to care for. In 1835, when the subject of this sketch was nine years old, his mother moved the family to Missouri and located in Callaway County, and in 1842 settled in St. Louis. Previous to this date Mr. Slaughter had spent his time in agricultural pursuits, receiving at the same time such schooling as was afforded by the common schools. Upon the arrival of the family in St. Louis, he entered the shops of McMurray & Dorman, to learn the trade of mechanical engineer, and after serving an apprenticeship was employed as an engineer upon river steamers between St. Louis and New Orleans. Upon the first call for volunteers for the Mexican war in 1846, Mr. Slaughter abandoned his work and enlisted for a year’s service in...

Read More

Biography of Frank B. DeVine

No history of Riverside purporting to record her growth and prosperity can lay claim to real value and interest that does not award the merit to her mercantile enterprises, and the men who have conducted them. Most prominent in this record would be the names of Boyd & DeVine, commission merchants and jobbers, whose establishment is located on the corner of Eighth Street and Pachappa Avenue. This is one of the most important wholesale and commission houses in the city, dealing extensively in groceries, grain, honey, etc. They are also large fruit and raisin packers, placing their products on the markets under the celebrated “Sunbeam” brand. Their packing business was first established by the German Fruit Company, who sold out their interest to Boyd & DeVine in May 1887. The few brief facts gathered regarding Mr. DeVine’s career previous to locating in Riverside are of interest. He was born and reared in Rochester, New York, dating his birth in 1848, had the advantages of a good schooling, and graduated at the high school of that city with honor. He then entered into mercantile life as a clerk and bookkeeper, in the well-known establishment of Burke, FitzSimons, Hone & Co., of his native city. In 1870 he went to New York City, and for the next twelve years was engaged in mercantile pursuits, holding responsible positions in some of the...

Read More

Biography of Ottley Papineau

Ottley Papineau, is a manufacturer and dealer in harness, saddles, buggy robes, etc., and also proprietor of one of the leading business establishments of Riverside. His products are well known in the county and his trademark “O. P.” is a sufficient guarantee for first-class material and workmanship. The subject of this sketch is a native of England, dating his birth in London, in 1846. The first ten years of his life was spent in that city and at Canterbury in attending school. In 1856 he went to Australia and joined his father, who had preceded him to that country in 1852. His father located in Sydney, and there Mr. Papineau engaged in schooling until the summer of 1858, when he removed with his parents to Melbourne, Victoria, and attended school there until seventeen years of age. He was then apprenticed at the harness and saddlers’ trade, and after serving his apprenticeship worked as a journeyman in that city until 1874. In that year he immigrated to the United States, and upon his arrival in California located in Stockton. The next year he decided to seek a home in Southern California, and came to Los Angeles, where he obtained employment at his trade with Bell & Green, and later was manager of a well-known harness shop of William M. Osborne. In 1882, seeking a desirable location in which to establish...

Read More

White, Robert Monte – Obituary

Baker City, Oregon Robert Monte White, 63, a longtime Baker City resident, died June 22, 2004, at Kootenai Medical Center in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. A private service is planned. Yates Funeral Home, Coeur d’Alene Chapel, is in charge of arrangements. Robert was born on March 1, 1941, at Minneapolis to Robert Albert White and Nona Lucille Reese White. He moved to California at the age of 7. After he graduated from high school, Robert joined the U.S. Air Force and served time overseas at Guam. After his discharge from the service, Robert worked for Shelby Corp. testing racing prototypes. Robert loved being a mechanic and being part of a racing crew. He also worked for L.A. City Water and Power and then for the City of Los Angeles as a general services mechanic. He retired in 1991 and moved to Oregon where he met his wife, Ronda Myers. They were married on Nov. 5, 1994, at Lake Tahoe, Nev. In April of 2004 they relocated to Post Falls, Idaho. Robert enjoyed classic car shows, air shows, building and flying RC planes, fishing, camping, and especially watching Nascar and going for lattes with Ronda. Survivors include his wife, Ronda White of Post Falls; sons, Robert A. White and Michael White of Santa Clarita, Calif.; stepchildren, Gail Searles, Aimee Searles and Jason Searles of Post Falls; grandchildren, Ricky, Lucas, Jordan, Micki,...

Read More

Biography of Henry Babel

Henry Babel, deceased, formerly proprietor of the celebrated springs which bear his name, and which are now the property of his widow, was born near Hanover, Germany, on August 2, 1826. In 1845 he immigrated with his parents to America, and settled in Lebanon, Illinois, where his father and mother both died within a year. After their decease Henry went to St. Louis, Missouri, and on October 8, 1849, he married Miss Elizabeth Holadway, a native of Tennessee, a descendant of Scotch ancestry on her father’s side, and English on her mother’s. Early in May, 1850, Mr. Babel and his young wife started’ from their home in Missouri to cross the plains to California, as part of a train comprising a hundred families, nearly all of whom came with ox teams, though Mr. Babel had horse teams. The trip was a trying one to Mrs. Babel, as their eldest child, a daughter, was born en route, at Fort Laramie. They reached Salt Lake on September 17. Having lost one of their horses, and being advised that an attempt to continue their journey over the Sierra Nevada mountains so late in the season would be attended with great risk, Mr. and Mrs. Babel stopped in the Salt Lake valley, and remained there eighteen months, during which time they both worked hard to try to get a start in life. While...

Read More

Biography of S. Taylor

S. Taylor. Among those who have contributed largely to the success and advancement of Redlands, none should receive more credit for untiring energy in the past than the gentleman whose name heads this sketch. He was a native of Canada, born at London, Ontario, October 8, 1854, his parents being John and Jane (Barter) Taylor, both of whom were born in England, the father being a contractor and builder. Our subject was reared and educated at his native place, and on arriving at a suitable age, commenced, as his first employment, clerking in a dry-goods store. After that he was connected with the bakery business for two years. In 1880 he left Canada, locating at Los Angeles. After two years there, he came to Redlands, and engaged in the business of manufacturing cement piping. He has supplied nearly all of the large sizes of pipe used by Judson & Brown in their enterprise hereabouts, nearly forty miles in all. The pipe of his manufacture is the best to be found in the market, and is so rated. He also supplies pipe for San Bernardino, Riverside, Colton, etc. He built the large two-story brick business structure known as the Taylor block, completing it in July, 1888, and in the same year erected three brick residences, building on a two-and-a-half acre tract in Redlands. When he came here he bought ten...

Read More

Biography of Joseph Benjamin Henderson

Joseph Benjamin Henderson is a native son, born in San Bernardino County, in 1856, and is the son of David Henderson, who emigrated with his family from Scotland and settled in San Bernardino County, in 1853, where he and his wife, also a native of Scotland, still reside. He learned the trade of stonemason in early life, and has divided his time between that and mining and farming as his chief occupations. Joseph served three years apprenticeship at the tinner’s trade, and worked at it as a journeyman in San Bernardino, San Diego, Los Angeles and San Francisco over thirteen years; most of his time he was in the employ of John Ruffen & Co. in this city, March 1, 1884, he, in partnership with B. F. Bell, a fellow employee of the above firm, started a small tin shop in San Bernardino. In July of that year he bought Mr. Bell’s interest and has conducted the business alone ever since. Starting with one apprentice he has increased his force from time to time as the rapid growth of his business demanded. He made a specialty of the manufacture of water tanks and pipes. He made galvanized iron tanks in great numbers for water storage, some of them with a capacity of 5,000 gallons each. He contracts for iron water pipes, ranged as high as from two to three...

Read More

Biography of Deacon John A. Boyer

A man remembered only by the older generation of Rock Island County’s citizens was Deacon John A Boyer, deceased. He was born at Bedford, Pennsylvania, October 16, 1809. During a portion of his boyhood his parents lived at Paris, Kentucky, and later removed to Indiana. In 1837 he came to this county and settled in what was then the town of Stephenson. In 1838 Mr. Boyer was united in marriage to Mrs. Zeruiah Phillips, whose maiden name was Zeruiah Robbins. The following year Mr. and Mrs. Boyer moved to the farm at the south end of what is now Thirtieth Street, which was their home at the time of Mrs. Boyer’s death, which occurred March 16, 1886, closing a long and happy married life of forty-eight years. No children blessed this marriage, but after some years of married life they took Thomas Campbell into the family and reared him to manhood. He and his family were beneficiaries from the estates. Mr. Campbell lived forty years of Mr. Boyer’s life with him and was as son to the family in every sense of the word. In religious faith Mr. Boyer and his devoted wife were Baptists, and their fidelity to the cause of their church and zeal in the cause of religion are demonstrated by the following minutes taken from the records of the Baptist Church of this city, under...

Read More


Free Genealogy Archives

It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Pin It on Pinterest