Select Page

Location: England

1850 Gazetteer of Modbury England

MODBURY is a small ancient market town, consisting chiefly of four streets, diverging to the cardinal points, and pleasantly situated at the foot and on the sides of three acclivities, in the heart of a fertile district, 12 miles E. by S. of Plymouth, 4½ miles S.E. of Ivybridge Railway Station, seven miles N.W. of Kingsbridge, and 208 miles W.S.W. of London. Its parish contains 5977 acres of land extending westward to the navigable river Erme, and including 143A. of woodland, 181A. of orchards, 144A. of waste, and 85A. of common. Its population amounted in 1801 to 1813 souls, and in 1831 to 2116, but in 1841 they had decreased to 2048. It has a small weekly market on Thursday; a great cattle market on the second Monday of every month; and a large annual fair, for cattle, &c., on the 4th of May, if that date falls on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, and if not, on the Tuesday after. Petty Sessions are held at the White Hart Inn, every third Tuesday, by the magistrates of Ermington and Plympton Division, to whom Mr. Thomas Kelly, of Yealmpton, is clerk. Modbury is said to be an ancient borough, though neither incorporated nor represented. It sent two members to Parliament in the 34th of Edw. I., soon after which it petitioned, like many other places, to be exempt from this expense,...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Morley England

MORLEY, or Morleigh, a small pleasant village, six miles S.S.W. of Totnes, N.N.E. of Kingsbridge, and E. by N. of Modbury, has in its parish 202 souls, and 1487A. 2R. 24P. of land. It had anciently a market and fair, granted in 1315. The manor passed in moieties to the Ufflete and Maynard families, and the parish now belongs to the Rev. H. Hare, J. B. Swete, Esq., W. B. Fortescue, Esq., and a few smaller owners. One moiety belonged to the late Viscount Boringdon, who in 1815 was created Earl of Morley, to which title his son succeeded in 1840. Petty Sessions are held monthly, at the New Inn, for Stanborough and Coleridge division. The Church (All Saints,) is a small ancient structure, said to have been built in Edward 1st’s reign, by Sir Peter Fizacre, who, in a quarrel, killed the parson of Woodleigh, to whose parish Morley then belonged. For this crime the Pope enjoined the knight to build a church at Morleigh. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £9. 8s. 1½d., and in 1831 at £157, is in the patronage of Sir H. P. Seale, and incumbency of the Rev. E. T. Seale, of Blackauton. The glebe is 16A., and the tithes were commuted in 1842, for £150 per annum. Here is an Independent Chapel, built in 1844, but it stands in that part of...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Newton Ferrers England

NEWTON FERRERS is a pleasant scattered village, on rising ground, at the head of a small creek from the estuary of the Yealm, 7 miles S.E. by E. of Plymouth, and 2 miles from the sea-coast. Its parish contains 778 souls, and 2991 acres of land, extending two miles northward along the east side of the estuary, and including the small hamlet of Torr, and a number of scattered farms. There are oyster-beds in the estuary, belonging to companies in London and Southampton; and a variety of other fish are taken here. The manor of Newton anciently belonged to the Ferrers family, whose co-heiress carried it in marriage to Lord St. John. It afterwards passed to the Bonville, Coplestone, Hele, and other families. It now belongs in moieties to H. R. Roe and John Holberton, Esqrs., the latter of whom has a pleasant seat, called Torr House, where his family has resided many generations. Gnaton Hall, the seat of H. R. Roe, Esq., was long the residence of the Heles, and was rebuilt about twenty years ago. It is now a handsome mansion, with extensive and well-wooded grounds. The manor of Postlinch, or Puslinch, was given by one of the Ferrers to the De Pustlinch family, from whom it passed to the Mohuns, and from the latter to the Uptons. It passed with an heiress of the latter, in...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of North Huish England

HUISH, (NORTH) is a small scattered village, picturesquely situated on the western aclivities of the Avon valley, 5 miles E. of Ivybridge, and 7 miles W.S.W. of Totnes. Its parish contains 483 souls, and 2662A. 2R. 27P. of land, including Lupridge, and part of Newhouse hamlet. The manor, formerly held by the Damarell, Trenchard, and other families, was purchased by Richard King, Esq., in 1786, and now belongs to Thomas King, Esq., of the Manor House, which has been modernised and improved. Wm. Bowden Esq., owns Norris, Coombe, and other estates ; and Blackhall is the handsome residence of Jas. Cornish, Esq., and has a stuccoed front and Doric portico. Boterford, now called Butterford, is a large mansion, formerly the seat of a family of its own name, and afterwards of the Strodes and Palks, the latter of whom rebuilt the mansion about 1790. It is now occupied, and belongs to the represenattives of the late T. Kingwell. The Church is an ancient structure, with a tower, containing five bells, and crowned by a spire. It is in the decorated style, and was renovated in 1845, when a fine east window was inserted, and a beautiful altar screen erected. The west gallery and small organ were erected in 1848, and all the windows are modern insertions, except that at the west end. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £28....

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Rattery England

RATTERY, or Rattrey, a small village on an eminence, four miles W. by N. of Totnes, has in its parish 485 souls, and 2823A. 3R. 23P. of land. Marley House, a large and handsome stuccoed mansion, with a fine lawn, is the residence of the Dowager Lady Carew, who is daughter and heiress of the late Walter Palk, Esq., and carried the manor of Rattery and other estates to the late Sir Henry Carew, Bart. Her eldest son Sir W. P. Carew, is now lord of the manor, but part of the soil belongs to R. Brown, Esq., and a few smaller owners. The Church is an ancient structure, with a tower, containing four bells, and crowned by a small spire. It has been repaired by Lady Carew, and has now a handsome appearance. Some of its windows have lately been decorated with stained glass. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £14. 10s., and in 1831 at £240, is in the patronage of Sir. W. P. Carew, and incumbency of the Rev. R. P. Carew, who has a good residence and 60A. 3R. 5P. of glebe. The tithes have been commuted, the vicarial for £200, and the rectorial for £189. 9s. The latter belong to Lady Carew. There are two houses, a garden, and a field, vested for the repairs of the church; and a small Almshouse for six...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Revelstoke England

REVELSTOKE parish has its church on the sea coast, near Stoke Point and Bigbury Bay, but most of its inhabitants are in the large fishing village of NOSS MAYO, which lies in a low situation, on the south side of a creek from the mouth of the Yealm, opposite Newton Ferrers, nine miles S.E. of Plymouth. Crabs, lobsters, herrings, and other fish are caught at Noss Mayo, where the villagers suffered severely from cholera in 1849, when about 50 of them died, and more than 200 were afflicted with the dreadful malady. Liberal subscriptions were made for the relief of the sufferers, and a medical gentleman was sent down from London to their assistance. The parish had 613 inhabitants in 1841, and contains 1470A. 2R. 19P. of land. The manor of Revelstoke was long the property and seat of the Revells, and was sold about 12 years ago, by Sir J. Perring, to its present owner, Robert Robertson, Esq., of Membland. W. W. Pendarves, Esq., owns the manor of Lambside, and part of the parish belongs to a few smaller owners. The Church is an ancient structure, with a belfry and two bells; and in Noss Mayo, is a small Chaple of Ease, erected in 1839. The benefice is a perpetual curacy, consolidated with the vicarage of Yealmpton. Here is 4A. 3R. 37P. of glebe, but no parsonage. The...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Marldon England

MARLDON, a small village, 5 miles E.N.E. of Totnes, has in its parish 470 souls, and 2254 acres of land, including the village of Compton, a mile N. by W. of the church. Parkfield House is the pleasant seat of Francis Garrett, Esq., who owns a great part of the parish, and, a few years ago, purchased the ancient mansion called Compton Castle, now occupied by his gardener. This castellated house was the seat of Sir Maurice de Pole, in the reign of Henry II., and it was afterwards held by the Comptons, Gilberts, and Templers. The manor of Stanton belongs to Chas. H. Mallock, Esq ; and Wm. Randell, Esq., and several smaller freeholders have estates here. The Church is an ancient structure, with a tower and four bells, and the benefice is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Paignton. The poor have 1½A. of land, given by an unknown donor, and 6s. 8d. yearly from Kelly’s Gift...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Malborough England

MALBOROUGH is a small village, on an eminence, partly in West Alvington parish, about two miles from Salcombe Haven, and four miles S.S.W. of Kingsbridge.Its parish contains 1951 inhabitants, and 4890 acres of land, bounded on the south side by the English Channel, between Bolt Head and Tail, and including the small hamlets of Coombe, Collaton, Rew, Bolbury, Batson, and Shadycombe; and the small town, sea-port, fishing station, and chapelry of SALCOMBE, which is pleasantly and picturesquely situated on the western side of the estuary, which runs up to Kingsbridge, and sends several creeks from either side. Salcombe has now about 1500 inhabitants, though it had only 972 in 1841. It is considered the warmest place on the south-west coast, as oranges, lemons, and American aloes bloom in the open air, in the pleasure grounds of Woodville and the Moult. To the lovers of coast scenery, there are many wild and romantic spots between Prawle Point on the east, and Bigbury Bay on the west. Salcombe is a port under Dartmouth, and has a custom house, built in 1848; a coast guard station; a market-house, with a public room over it, erected in 1848, at the cost of £600; a shipping insurance association, established in 1831; three ship building yards, many good shops and neat houses, and several handsome marine villas. It is the out-port of Kingsbridge, to which...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Loddiswell England

LODDISWELL is a considerable village, pleasantly situated on rising ground on the western side of the vale of the Avon, 3 miles N.N.W. of Kingsbridge. Its parish contains 1013 souls, and 3568 acres of land, exclusive of the township of Buckland-Toutsaints, which is afterwards noticed. The manor of Loddiswell is in two moieties, belonging to Mrs. E. Wise and Mr. Thos. Harris; that of Webbiton belongs to Sir W. P. Carew, and that of Staunton to the Rev. C. Osmond; but several smaller owners have estates here. In 1463, Thos. Gyll had license to castellate his house of Hach Arundell, and enclose a park; but it has long been reduced to a farm-house. Hazelwood, a large and handsome mansion, with extensive grounds, is the seat of Rd. Peek, Esq., who erected it in 1830, after retiring from business as a merchant in London. Yellow Ochre is manufactured here, and in the parish is a copper mine, which was opened 25 years ago, and was taken by a numerous company of adventurers in 1836, but has lately been closed. Blackdown hill, at the north end of the parish, commands extensive views, and has evident traces of an entrenchment. The Church (St. Michael,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and five bells. It retains many of its old oak seats, and contains several tablets in memory of the Wise family...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Little Hempston England

LITTLE HEMPSTON, a small scattered village, in a valley opening to the Dart, 2 miles N.E. of Totnes ; has in its parish 268 souls, and 1270A. 3R. 17P. of fertile land. The manor, anciently held by the Arundells, belongs to the Duke of Cleveland and the Countess of Sandwich ; but F. Cornish, Esq., and other freeholders have estates here. Gatcomb, a seat which was rebuilt by the late C. Cornish, Esq., was the birth place of Zachary Bogan, a learned divine, who published treatises on the idioms of Homer and Hesiod. The Church (St. John,) is a small antique fabric, and the living is a small antique fabric, and the living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £19 15s. 2½d., and in 1831 at £201, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. F. H. Hele, M.A. The glebe is 56A. 2R. 11P., and the tithes were commuted in 1838 for £207 per annum. £138, left to the poor by Cphr. Blackhall, and other donors, was laid out in 1727, in the purchase of Dreadon close, (10A.) now let for about £13 a year. The poor parishioners have also a yearly rent charge of £9. 5s. 6d., out of the great tithes of Berry Pomeroy, left by William Bogan, in 1723. They have likewise the dividends of £111. 2s. 3d. Old South...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Kingswear England

KINGSWEAR is a remarkably small parish, on a point of land projecting into the river Dart, opposite Dartmouth, and contracting the entrance to the harbour. It contains only 270 inhabitants, and 107A. 2R. 10P. of land. J. F. Luttrell, Esq., is chief owner and lord of the manor, which was anciently a royal demense, and had a small castle or fort, the walls of which are still standing, and near them are the ruins of another fort, where tradition says, the chain was fixed to prevent hostile ships from entering the harbour. On the brow of the hill, overlooking the village, are some embankments, which were thrown up during the siege of Dartmouth, in 1646. The Beacon, an elegant mansion, built in 1848, on a delightful eminence, overlooking the Dart, is the seat of A. H. Holdsworth, Esq. The Church (St. Thomas a Beckett,) was rebuilt at the cost of £1600, in 1847, except the tower, which contains a clock and three bells. It is in the decorated style, and is neatly fitted up with open benches, &c. The perpetual curacy, valued in 1831, at £99, is in the patronage of the Vicar of Brixham, and incumbency of the Rev. John Smart. The Church Lands, &c., have been vested in trust from an early period, and comprise four houses, nine gardens, and about half an acre of land, let...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Kingston England

KINGSTON, a small scattered village, 3½ miles S.S.W. of Modbury, has in its parish 529 souls, and 2233 acres of land, extending westward to the Erme estuary and southward to Bigbury Bay. The manor of Kingston belongs to Rd. Julian, Esq., and that of Scobbescombe to T. Bulteel, Esq. The Wise family own Langston and Wonwell, and the Duke of Somerset and a few smaller owners have estates here. The Church is a small ancient structure, and the living is a curacy, annexed to the vicarage of...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Kingsbridge England

KINGSBRIDGE is a small but busy and improving market town, pleasantly situated on rising ground, at the head of the estuary which runs up from the English Channel, between Salcombe and East Portlemouth, about six miles below, and has several creeks projecting from either side. It is distant about 20 miles E.S.E. of Plymouth, 34 miles S.S.W. of Exeter, 12 miles from Totnes and Ivybridge Railway Stations, and 205 miles W.S.W. of London. It is in the two PARISHES of KINGSBRIDGE and DODBROOKE, the former of which comprises only 32 acres, and had 1564 souls in 1841 ; and the latter has 343A. 1R. 39P. of land, and 1229 souls. The town has now upwards of 3000 inhabitants, exclusive of the suburbs in the adjacent parishes of West Alvington and Churchstow, from the latter of which Kingsbridge was separated some centuries ago. Dodbrooke forms the eastern part of the town, and is divided from Kingsbridge only by a small brook, which runs to the estuary under the southern part of the town, where there is a quay at which coasting vessels of 150 to 200 tons burden receive and deliver cargoes of coal, corn, timber, and general merchandise. The town is highly salubrious, and has a clean and respectable appearance. It is supplied with water brought in pipes from the hills near Combe Royal ; and with gas from...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Ivybridge England

IVYBRIDGE is a large and respectable village, with many neat houses, picturesquely seated on the banks of the river Erme, where there is an ancient ivy mantled bridge, on the Plymouth and Exeter road, 11 miles E. by N. of the former, and 34 miles S.S.W. of the latter. The South Devon Railway crosses the valley by a bridge and viaduct, a little to the north, and has a station here. More than half of the village is in the Ermington parish, and the rest is in the three parishes of Cornwood, Harford, and Ugborough. It has a post office, several neat villas, and many good lodging houses; three large and commodious inns, two paper mills, a large corn mill, several good shops, an extensive joint-stock tannery and leather manufactory, a district church, and two chapels. About 17 years ago, when the new road was made, a new bridge was erected a little below the old one. The bed of the river shews, by its jagged rocks, the impestuous nature of the stream, which having but just escaped from the high moorlands, rushes down, after heavy rains, like a wild cataract, through the deep and narrow valley, the woody banks of which rise in some places, above the old bridge, so abruptly, that the foliage of the trees on either side meet, and form a sylvan arch over the...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Holne England

HOLNE, a small village, on an eminence, on the south-western side of the Dart valley, 3½ miles W. of Ashburton, has in its parish 394 souls, and about 5000 acres of land, but only about 2300 acres are cultivated, and the rest consists of about 500 acres of wood, and 2200 acres of moorland, in Holne Chase, which extends about two miles into Dartmoor Forest, amidst some of the most magnificent scenery in Devon, where the Dart is seen foaming over its rocky bed, between steep and shelving banks, and lofty woody hills. Sir B.P. Wrey, Bart., is lord of the manor, formerly held by the Audleys and Bourchiers, and has a hunting seat here, called Holne Chase House, in a singularly romantic situation. He owns most of the parish, which includes the hamlets of Michelcoombe and Stoke, and a number of scattered farms; and the Hunting Boxes called Holne Park and Holne Cottage. George Jarvis, Thos. Hamlyn, George Stranger, and a few others, have small freeholds here. The Church was built in the 13th century, and has an embattled tower and five bells. It was renovated and beautified in 1849-50, and has a handsome pulpit and screen. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £8. 5s. 5d., and in 1831 at £195, is in the patronage of the Rev. Saml. Lane, and incumbency of the Rev. John Dolbeare Parham,...

Read More

Search


It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Pin It on Pinterest