Abbott, Jerry 9-6-49 Adamson, Paul 4-18-49 Aldous, Gladys 2-20-48 Anderson, Frieda 4-12-51 Anderson, Otto 4-0-54 Ashby, Geneva 9-6-50 Bailey, C.R. 5-1-52 Barron, Robert 4-8-24 Bence, Paul 9-30-57 Blank, Leona 4-20-59 Boles, James 2-15-45 Boles, Jewell 4-11-47 Boles, William 8-11-47 Boyce, Charles 4-18-49 Brenton, Ray 7-22-47 Brickey, Wiley J. 9-13-60 Brock, Morris 7-16-57 Buker, John 7-17-40 Bystrom, Axel 7-6-40 Calloway, Roy D. 0-0-29 Castle, Mike 10-1-57 Castle, Paul 5-29-40 Castles, Freda 9-0-49 Coalwell, Ronald 1-14-46 Cook, Lloyd 5-0-40 Cox, Thomas 7-24-46 Craig, Delbert 8-12-52 Crane, Carl 3-13-45 Crane, Valda 8-6-46 Culley, Don 3-3-52 Culley, Ralph 2-25-52 DePee, O.W. 8-8-49 DeRoest, Francis 1-14-46 DeRoest, Leon 5-2-49 DeRoest, Maurice 2-0-35 Derrick, Willard 7-15-55 DeShaw, Eugene 5-19-52 Edin, Ragnar 6-19-47 Edison, Robert 3-16-50 Edvalson, John 10-0-46 Erickson, Kenneth 10-3-60 Everson, Roy 7-17-46 Fakes, Dan 4-27-49 Fercho, Dorothy 2-25-52 Ferree, Elmer 5-30-50 Flint, Beulah 5-5-47 Flint, Earl 5-11-59 Flowers, Ardes 5-12-50 Francis, Willard 5-4-42 Franzen, Kurt O. 3-5-37 French, James E. 7-6-59 French, James J. 5-0-33 French, John S. 5-30-37 Fulton, Paul 5-19-47 Fulton, Robert 9-12-49 Fulton, William 3-21-50 Graham, Burton 4-25-46 Graves, Larry 9-3-57 Grende, Louis 5-10-54 Grogan, Roy 3-26-48 Hall, Edward 3-15-48 Hall, Russell 3-20-50 Hallgarth, Glenn 1-14-46 Hickman, D. L. 2-0-57 Hughes, Archie 10-5-49 Hughes, Joseph W. 6-1-54 Hutchison, George 3-12-59 Hutton, Ralph 5-8-57 Irey, Clayton 10-26-49 Jensen, Ivan 5-11-50 Johnson, Cliff 9-12-49 Jones, Claude 7-0-52 Jones, Glenn 2-17-47 Kirk, Francis...Read More
Collection: Baker County Oregon Genealogy
The following collection references data which we have concerning Baker County Oregon genealogy. Since Judy herself descends from ancestors who called Baker County their home, our collection of information on this locality consists of a lot of data not found elsewhere online.Read More
About the Middle of October 1862, the first church organization in Baker County was effected under the supervision of Father Mesplie, of the Catholic Church, who came from Canyon City for that purpose. A long building was secured at the cost of six hundred dollars, but services were not held regularly, owning to the distance the priest had to travel. About the same time Miss O’Brien, now Mrs. Packwood, commenced the first school taught in Baker County, having about forty pupils in attendance. A lot was donated to her for school purposes and a sum of money raised by subscription to pay for the building of a house. She taught six weeks and gave up the position to Mrs. Stafford who continued the school until some time in the winter when she was taken sick and died. The same fall and winter Mrs. Chandler taught a school near Pocahontas in Powder River valley. In the latter part of summer of 1862, Mr. Comstock constructed a toll road from Auburn down Powder river to the valley, which he soon sold to Moore and Norcross, of Auburn, and some-time in the winter they sold it to Mr. Place who kept it up as a toll road for several years when it became a county road, land is now one of the most important thoroughfares in the county, being the route traveled...Read More
County Officers At the session of the legislature which convened in September 1862, an act was passed organizing the county of Baker, including within its limits all the southeast portion of the state, which has since been divided into the several counties of Wallowa, Union, Baker and Malheur. Officers for the new county were appointed upon their duties on the third day of November 1862, as appears from the journal of the county court, in which the first entry is as follows: County Court of Baker County, Oregon, met pursuant to law, Nov. 3, 1862. Present, the Hon. John Q. Wilson, county judge; J. W. Wickersham, under sheriff; William Waldo, deputy county clerk. The other county officers appointed at the same time were George Hall, sheriff; Samuel A. Clarke, clerk; Wm. F. McCrary, treasurer; W. D. Quigley, assessor; Wm. H. Packwood, School Superintendent. The first case in the county court was that of A. B. Roberts, plaintiff vs. Thomas Allison, defendant: Grey for plaintiff, Heed & Pierce for defendant. That case was a kind of Jarndyce vs. Jarndyce case in a small way. Mr. Roberts commenced action to recover possession of certain goods, November 5, 1862. Case dismissed. The same evening the parties came before the judge, Roberts, plaintiff vs. Allison defendant, character of the case not stated, but prisoner dismissed. November 6, comes, State of Oregon vs. Thomas...Read More
The first Baptist church in Baker City was organized December 7, 1874, Rev. L. H. Boothe was chairman of the meeting and Prof. S. P. Barrett clerk. The members present were Hardin Estes, Perlina Estes, Arthur Smith, Mary Kilbourn, Samuel Gaines, Mary Gaines, Prof. Barrett, Mary Barrett and Delazon Smith. Prof. Barrett served as clerk until July 1875, then Arthur Smith about two years, followed by F. Baird for four years. Mrs. F. E. Small was chosen clerk March 15, 1884, and was succeeded by Wilbur Finch April 20, 1888. Frank Baird was clerk from February 1889 to March 1890, and Miss. E. C. Sturgill from then till January 1892, and J. F. Porter from January till September, and N. E. Darling from September to the present time. Rev. E. P. Waltz, the first pastor of the church came from Monroe County Mo., arriving at Baker City January 2, 1875. The 20th day of March he was chosen pastor in charge and served in that capacity ten years. After Mr. Waltz resigned there was no regular pastor in charge until May 29, 1887, the Rev. Geo. H. Brown was chosen. C. N. Burnham was pastor from May to October 1889, and J. M. Haskell from October to December. George T. Ellis, the present pastor, took charge in June 1890. In 1882 the construction of a house of worship was...Read More
Pursuant to an act of the legislature in 1874 the people of Baker City proceeded to form a city government, by electing the officers required by the terms of the charter. The trustees were S. B. McCord, J. A. Reid, S. Grier, J. H. Parker and G. J. Bowman. The first meeting of the board was held at the Court House, November 25, 1874, at which Bowman was elected president. The minutes of the meeting were signed by R. H. Cardwell, recorder. At a meeting of the board November 28, Wm. M. Constable was elected city marshal. On December 2, James H. Shinn was elected city attorney. At a meeting on the 9th of December, ten ordinances were submitted to the board by the city attorney and adopted. George Wisdom was elected night watchman with a salary of seventy dollars per month. December 30, W. J. Eastabrook was declared elected recorder in place of Cardwell, resigned. March 3, 1875, E. W. Reynolds was elected recorder in place of Eastabrook, resigned. At a special election March 18, J. M. Shepherd was elected recorder. July 31, 1875, a fire engine for the use of the city was purchased for $700. At the regular city election November 4, 1875, Bowman, Eppinger, Alfred, Weller and John Bowen were elected trustees. H. C. Durkee, recorder; George Wisdom, marshal and R. Alexander, treasurer. November 6,...Read More
A meeting was called by the Presbytery of Idaho to be held in Baker City, January 5 and 6, 1884, at which all members and those in sympathy with the Presbyterian church of the United States, were invited to be present. Rev. C. H. Shields, of Union, having been invited, presided at the meeting. The following named persons came forward and were duly constituted the first Presbyterian church of Baker City and asked that the name be placed on the roll of churches of the Presbytery of Idaho. John Edmunson, Mesdames Edmunson, Mitchell, McComas, Irland and Grey, John Edmunson was chosen ruling elder for three years. Mesdames Mitchell, McComas and Irland were elected trustees. Rev. J. S. Binghan was the first resident pastor. In 1889 a church was erected on ground donated by the Ladies Aid society of the Presbyterian Church, southwest corner Fourth and Washington Streets. The building cost $4000, entailing a debt of $2900, which has since been paid and the church is clear of debt. Rev. Bingham was pastor until December ’89, when he was succeeded by J. Breuillett, who was succeeded by G. A. Hutchinson, July 5, 1890, who officiated until September 3, 1891. The church was then without a pastor until July 17, 1892, the Rev. Theodore Hunter took charge. A Sabbath school has been maintained and recently a Young Peoples Endeavor society was...Read More
Early in June 1862, traveling parties from California and Nevada began to arrive at the mines on Powder River. These parties had started for the Salmon River mines, and were surprised when they found a mining camp in Eastern Oregon. Amongst those who came across the country from those states were Hardin Estes, Fred Dill, John P. Bowen and perhaps others who have remained here ever since. Estes and Dill came from Nevada with a party of about twenty, known as the White Horse company, having received that name on account of so many of their horses being white. They came down the Owyhee River and struck the emigrant road which they followed to Burnt river, and there kept on the hills to avoid crossing the river more than once. Finding a suitable place, they crossed the river, and struck the emigrant road where it turns across the hills towards Powder river valley, and came over to the valley which they found overflowed to such an extent that it was impossible to follow the road farther. Turning to the right and keeping to the low hills north of the valley they came to the point where North Powder joins the main stream. Here they saw Mr. John Hibbard and some others out in the valley across the river with whom they opened communication and learned where they were and...Read More
On Wednesday, May 11, 1870, the first number of the Bedrock Democrat was issued-the first newspaper published in Baker County Abbott & McArthur, proprietors. The editor in his address to the public promises devotion to the interests of the people of Eastern Oregon in all things pertaining to the material interests of the people, and fidelity to the Democratic Party in political matters. In the editorial columns the public debt and other political questions of the time are discussed. In the local columns the different mining camps of the county all receive a notice. The miners at Auburn were jubilant over their prospects, and in the Shasta district it was announced that the waters of Camp Creek had just been turned into the Burnt River ditch to be conveyed to the Eldorado diggings. From Rye Valley it was reported that Webber & Co. made a clean up the week before which averaged two hundred dollars per day, and Green and Archambeau cleaned up an average of ninety dollars per day. At Mormon Basin Mr. Copeland had picked-up two nuggets the week before worth fifty and sixty dollars respectively. The quartz ledges in the Granite Mountains are spoken of as having attracted much attention the previous fall. Mention is made of the Baker City post office having lately been made and designated a money order office by the postmaster general....Read More
In the month of June 1866, a number of horses and mules were driven off by the Indians, being taken from the vicinity of Washington ranch. Twelve men started in pursuit, following the trail of the stolen animals over the mountain to the head of Elk creek, and on towards the head of Powder River, then across the divide to Burnt River and over the west ridge to Willow creek. Here six of the party turned back, and John Hibbard, Hardin Estes, Frank Johnson, Hiram Kinnison, Jo Hodgeons and Curtis kept on the pursuit. The Indians had chosen their route over the stoniest ground in order to baffle their pursuers if they should be followed. When the party came to a place so stony they could not see the prints of the horses feet, they would divide, some going to the right and some keeping to the left, keeping on soft ground watching for the place where the Indians had left the hard ground. In this way they managed to follow at a lively gait, and from the appearance of the tracks, believed they were gaining on the Indians. Late in the afternoon of the 10th day they came to the brink of a precipitous bluff on a small tributary of the south fork of the Malheur River, and espied the horses and mules for which they were searching,...Read More
The first discovery of gold in Mormon Basin was made by some men from Humboldt River Nevada. They had been to the Auburn mines, and like many others, became discouraged at first sight of the country and were on their way home again when they made their discovery. Charles Stubley dug the first ditch from Glengary gulch to Sunburnt flat. Mr. Ingraham came to the camp January 2, 1863, and got an interest in some claims where he and two others did the first sluicing in the spring of ’63, taking out $65 per day per man. Mr. Getchell made as high as $200 per day with a rocker on his claim. There was no arrangement made for a formal observance of the Fourth of July at the Basin in 1863, and the miners all through the camp were a little surprised at about nine o’clock in the morning to bear an orator declaiming loudly, and on looking for the source from which the noise emanated, he discovered George Henry in the top of a pine tree rehearsing Patrick Henry’s celebrated speech delivered in the Virginia house of Burgesses in 1775. In the month of May 1867, Samuel Leonard and William Rankin went down Canyon creek from the Basin on a fishing excursion. They left the horse which they took with them on the side of the hill, while...Read More
Joseph Kinnison came to Powder River valley in July and took up a ranch where he has ever since resided. To him belongs the honor of plowing the first furrow ever turned in Baker County. In the spring of 1863 he had about forty acres in cultivation. About the first of June there was a severe frost and all growing vegetables seemed to be thoroughly frozen. Mr. Kinnison offered to take fifty dollars for his crop but found no buyer. He was most agreeably surprised to find, when the frost was gone, that no serious damage had been done, and that season he sold nearly four thousand dollars worth of produce from the forty acre lot. Mr. Hibbard and family from Umpqua valley settled at the foot of the mountains on a claim adjoining Mr. Morrison’s and Messrs. Worley, Spillman, Creighbaum and others took claims in the vicinity. Strother Ison took up a claim on Pine creek where he continued to reside until his death which occurred in the year 1889. Jerry Shea took up a claim south of Ison’s which he afterwards sold to Hardin Perkins who has lived upon it ever since. About the same time James Akers located the claim upon which he still resides. George Ebell settled near the foot of the mountains where he has made one of the best farms in the valley....Read More
It is much to be regretted that all records of matters pertaining to public schools during the first years of the settlement of the county, have been lost. All that can be done now is to record such matters as may be remembered by those who were engaged in school affairs in those days, as teachers or otherwise. As stated elsewhere, Mrs. Packwood taught the first school in the county, at Auburn, in the fall of 1862. Soon after her arrival she engaged in the work of raising money for the purpose of building a schoolhouse, and in a short time obtained sufficient sum, the house was built and school commenced with about fifty pupils in attendance. The children came with such books as they had brought with them across the plains, McGuffey’s readers, Sander’s readers, etc., making it necessary to have more classes than would be required in a school of ten times the number of pupils if provided with a uniform series of text books. W. H. Packwood was the first county school superintendent and issued the first teacher’s certificate to Mrs. Stafford, at Auburn. Mrs. Packwood’s was a subscription school, so Mrs. Stafford taught the first public school in the county. Mr. Packwood divided the territory of the county, then including Grande Ronde Valley, into five districts and gave certificates to four teachers in the first...Read More
Permanent among the educational institutions of Baker County is the Baker City Normal and Business College which has just finished its sixth year of usefulness. This school of education for business pursuits and the preparation of persons for the teaching profession, was organized January 10, 1887, by Mr. C. H. Whitney, a graduate of the National Business College. At first the branches taught included single and double entry bookkeeping, business penmanship, commercial arithmetic, business correspondence, etc. together with an actual business department in which the student received practical instruction in the branches passed over in theory. During the autumn of 1890, Prof. A. A. Danford, of Forman, North Dakota, associated himself with the institution and established a department of normal instruction for the preparation of teachers for their profession. The school has since that time continued as a normal and business college and has steadily advanced in popularity and success. During the last two years the school has been under the management of Sturgill & Sturgill, both well known business men of Baker City, who together with Prof. Sterling, of Portland, Oregon, are doing much to make the college a prosperous and permanent institution of the county. In 1869, A. H. Brown, L W. Nelson, Wm. F. McCarty and R. A. Pierce organized an academy with Prof. F. Grubbs, principal. The school was conducted successfully by Mr. and Mrs....Read More
One of Baker County’s early pioneers and daring Indian scouts was C. C. Davis, better known, perhaps, as Lum Davis. Mr. Davis was born in Greencastle, Putman County, Ind., February 20, 1836. When quite young he moved with his parents to Iowa and in 1862 came to Baker County, Oregon. Went to Portland in the winter and returned in ’63 and spent part of the summer on Burnt river; and back to Snake river in the fall. For some years Mr. Davis spent most of his time at Rye Valley and Mormon Basin, mining part of the time and part of the time scouting after Indians and recovering stolen stock. He used to work at mining in exposed situations with a Henry rifle swung on his shoulder. In 1865 he was engaged as a scout with Captain Stanford’s command. On one of his excursions after stolen horses, being separated from his two companions, he suddenly came upon two Indians and was within a few feet of them when they saw each other at the same moment. The nearest Indians asked if there were any more white men, intending of course if there were to play the game of ‘me good Indian.’ Davis swung his revolver up to a level with his face, seemingly in a careless manner, and pointing beyond the Indians, said: ‘Don’t you see them?’ Both Indians...Read More
- Alabama Genealogy
- Alaska Genealogy
- Arizona Genealogy
- Arkansas Genealogy
- California Genealogy
- Colorado Genealogy
- Connecticut Genealogy
- Delaware Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy
- Hawaii Genealogy
- Idaho Genealogy
- Illinois Genealogy
- Indiana Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy
- Kansas Genealogy
- Kentucky Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy
- Maine Genealogy
- Maryland Genealogy
- Massachusetts Genealogy
- Michigan Genealogy
- Minnesota Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy
- Missouri Genealogy
- Montana Genealogy
- Nebraska Genealogy
- Nevada Genealogy
- New Hampshire Genealogy
- New Jersey Genealogy
- New Mexico Genealogy
- New York Genealogy
- North Carolina Genealogy
- North Dakota Genealogy
- Ohio Genealogy
- Oklahoma Genealogy
- Oregon Genealogy
- Pennsylvania Genealogy
- Rhode Island Genealogy
- South Carolina Genealogy
- South Dakota Genealogy
- Tennessee Genealogy
- Texas Genealogy
- Utah Genealogy
- Vermont Genealogy
- Virginia Genealogy
- Washington Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy
- Wyoming Genealogy
Free Genealogy Archives
- Virginia High School YearbooksFebruary 22, 2017The following collection of free high school yearbooks and annuals from the state of Virginia comes from the collection of the Library of Virginia. ...
- History and Genealogy of Blue Hill, MaineAugust 29, 2016From the record of the town’s annual meeting held “March 6, 1769”, we learn that it was “Voted that Joseph Wood, Jonathan ...
- 1776-1805 Dutchess County, New York Marriage RecordsAugust 11, 2016These marriage records were transcribed by Lester Card and compiled in 1949. Mr. Card’s introduction to this transcription reads: “These ...
- The Stillwater Messenger, 1861-1874April 27, 2016In the valedictory of A. J. Van Vorhes, written when he sold the Stillwater Messenger plant to Willard S. Whitmore, I find it stated that the first ...
- Yearbooks of the Bayport-Blue Point High School, 1945-2011April 20, 2016The Bayport-Blue Point Public Library has digitized 65 years of yearbooks from the Bayport-Blue Point High School. The books have been scanned and ...
- Monroe County, New York Cemetery RecordsApril 8, 2016The extensive online listings for Monroe County, New York cemetery records should provide researchers with a clear picture of what is still ...
- Calloway County Missouri High School YearbooksApril 6, 2016The Daniel Boone Regional Library has digitized almost 100 years of yearbooks from community schools. The books have been scanned and uploaded in ...
- Boone County Missouri High School YearbooksApril 6, 2016The Daniel Boone Regional Library has digitized almost 100 years of yearbooks from community schools. The books have been scanned and uploaded in ...
- A Genealogy of Isaac Elbert BrushSeptember 22, 2015Two publications of, one typescript, and one handwritten manuscript for the Brush genealogy entitled, A Concise Genealogy of Isaac Elbert Brush and ...
- Progressive Men of Western ColoradoJune 10, 2015This manuscript in it’s basic form is a volume of 948 biographies of prominent men and women, all leading citizens of Western Colorado. Western ...