Mr. Henry Martens has been a resident of California for thirty-five years, during all but five years of which period he has devoted himself to the steel industry in San Mateo County.
In 1886, after an exhaustive search for the best location for a foundry, Mr. Henry Martens together with Mr. J. W. Heney, selected South San Francisco and founded the Enterprise Foundry. In 1892 the firm was incorporated.
Mr. Martens is one of South City’s strongest boosters. In a recent interview he stated that the Enterprise Foundry of which he is president owes much of its prosperity to its advantageous location which splendidly meets all their requirements. The heavy steel buildings they have erected during the last few years in making additions to the plant, make it the largest and most perfectly equipped steel foundry on the Pacific Coast.
Mr. Martens was born in Germany on April 17, 1860 and secured his early education in that country. He came to America and on September 22, 1884 he was married in San Francisco.
Mr. Martens is a member of the Redwood City Chapter of the F. & A. M. 168.