R. D. C. GRIFFIN. The name of Griffin is well known throughout Searcy County, for it has been connected with the business interests of this section for a long term of years, and is the synonym of honesty, industry and business integrity. Mr. Griffin was born in Huntsville, Ala., August 31, 1828, a son of Jesse and Sarah W. (Brooks ) Griffin, who removed first from Alabama to Tennessee, and in 1846 to Searcy County, Arkansas, where they entered a tract of land on which the father lived until his death, which occurred in 1886. Throughout the active years of his life, or from early manhood, he was a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, was a member of the old Arkansas Conference and preached at many different points throughout the State. It may with truth be said of him that he was the father of the Methodist Church in this county. Mrs. Griffin was born in the Old North State and died in January, 1891, having become the mother of tlle following children: Minerva (Mrs. Chandler); R. D. C.; J. L., who is living in this county; Lucinda, who is the Widow Hollobaugh; Wade, who was killed in the explosion of a mill, and John W., who is a Methodist preacher of Boone County, Arkansas
R. D. C. Griffin was a young man when the family came to this county, and from here he enlisted in the Mexican War, afterward becoming a member of the Confederate Army during the Civil War, Company F. McKay’s brigade. He began life for himself as a farmer of this county and to this occupation his time and attention have been given with the result that he is the owner of between 300 and 400 acres of land, which he has put in an excellent state of cultivation, and greatly improved with fine farm buildings and substantial fences. In connection with tilling the soil he has bestowed much attention on merchandising and milling, and being a shrewd man of business has met with the best of success and is in independent financial circumstances. He was married in this county to Miss Rena Bagley, a daughter of Henry Bagley, who was one of the first settlers of this section. To Mr. and Mrs. Griffin the following children have been given: Jesse, Lucinda and Tennessee, all of whom are married and have families, and for his second wife Mr. Griffin took Lucinda-by whom he has the following children: G. B., H. L., M. N., Vincent, J. D. and Sophia. Mr. Griffin is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, has always been a Democrat in politics, and socially he is a member of the A. F. & A. M.
His son, M. N. Griffin, was born in this county October 23, 1858, and was educated in the common schools of this county. He began doing business for himself in 1880, as a general merchant at Leslie, an occupation which occupied his time and attention up to 1893, during which time he was also engaged in the milling business with his father. He is a keen and shrewd young business man, has succeeded in all his under-takings and is the owner of a fine little farm of fifty acres, besides other property. He was married in 1883 to Miss Lizzie Thompson, a daughter of R. G. Thompson, and he and his wife have five children: Hattie, Bertha, Teresa H., and Bessie. Like his father before him, M. N. Griffin is a Democrat politically, and although he has always been interested in the political affairs of his section he has never been an aspirant for office. The Griffins are well respected in Searcy County, and are among its most substantial residents.