Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
George Engelhardt, who is engaged in farming on a tract of land of one hundred and forty acres near Kansasville, was born in Paris Township, Kenosha County, May 25, 1860, a son of John and Rachel (Beyer) Engelhardt, both of whom were natives of Germany. The father came to Wisconsin in 1853 and settled on a farm in Paris Township, Kenosha County. He afterward purchased a farm in Dover Township, Racine County, at twelve shillings per acre. It was a tract of wild land when it came into his possession, but with characteristic energy he transformed it into fertile fields, annually gathering good harvests. He was married in Paris Township and to him and his wife were born six children, all of whom are living: Kate, the wife of T. H. Hillman. a railroad man of Spooner, Wisconsin; Sophia, the wife of L. Hintz, a night watchman residing in Burlington; Carrie, the wife of Christ Olson, a railroad man of Spooner, Wisconsin; John, who is living in Brighton Township; William, a farmer of North Dakota; and George. The parents were members of the Lutheran church at Burlington and in his political views Mr. Engelhardt was a republican. He started out in business life empty handed and borrowed the money with which to pay his passage to the United States, but in this country he prospered, owing to his persistent, resolute purpose, and became the owner of a farm of one hundred and twenty acres of well improved and productive land.
George Englehardt was educated in the district schools, after which he took up farming and has since carried on general agricultural pursuits save for about two years, which he devoted to railroading. He has an excellent tract of land of one hundred and forty acres, which he has brought to a high state of cultivation, annually gathering rich crops as a reward for the care and labor which he bestows upon the fields. He has twelve or fourteen cows which he milks and he raises cattle and hogs, having some high grade shorthorn cattle upon his place. His business affairs are carefully and wisely directed and success attends his efforts in substantial measure.
On the 13th of May, 1888, Mr. Engelhardt was married to Miss Tressie Rusburg, a native of Caledonia, Wisconsin, and a daughter of Charles Rusburg, a farmer, who became one of the early settlers of Caledonia Township. The three children born of this marriage are: George, a farmer of Brighton Township, Kenosha, County; and Henry and Edna, both at home.
The parents are members of the Burlington Lutheran church and in politics Mr. Engelhardt is a republican. He served for about twenty years as a member of the school board and the cause of public education has always found in him a stalwart champion. In fact, he stands for progress and improvement along many lines and does everything in his power to further the material, intellectual and moral development of the community.