Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Free Rhode Island Genealogy Data and Links
- Rhode Island Cemetery Records
- Rhode Island Census Records
- 1910 Rhode Island Census Map
- Rhode Island, State Census, 1885
This project was indexed in partnership with the New England Historic Genealogical Society. Name index and images of census population schedules of the population of the state of Rhode Island as June 1, 1885.
- Rhode Island, State Census, 1905
Name index to the population schedule of the census Rhode Island taken by the state in 1905. The 1905 state census lists Rhode Island residents of the state as of 1905. Each resident is listed on a single form. The forms are arranged in order by place of residence (county, town or city, ward, enumeration district), then by gender, and then alphabetically by surname. The census tells whether a person is the head of household or lists relationship of the person to the head of household.
- Rhode Island, State Census, 1915
Name index to population schedule of the census of Rhode Island taken by the state in 1915. The 1915 state census of Rhode Island lists residents of Rhode Island as of April 15, 1915. Residents are listed by household and relationship to head of household is given. Children born after April 15, 1915 were not included. The census is arranged by county and then enumeration district. Microfilm copies of original records are available at the Family History Library and at Family History Centers.
- Rhode Island, State Census, 1925
Index to the 1925 Rhode Island state census. The census lists residents of the state as of April 15, 1925 by household. The head of household is indicated and the relationship of each person to the head of household is given. Children born after April 15, 1925 are not listed. The records are arranged by county and enumeration district. Microfilm copies of original records are available at the Family History Library and at Family History Centers.
- Rhode Island, State Census, 1935
Name index to population schedule of the census of Rhode Island taken by that state in 1935. Officially known as the 1935 state census, these schedules are on computer cards dated January 1936. This census is an every-name list of the state’s inhabitants as of 1935. The records are arranged by county and town and then alphabetically by surname. People enumerated in the census are recorded individually; the census records do not show individuals in family groups. Microfilm copies of original records are available at the Family History Library and at Family History Centers.
- Rhode Island Counties
- Gleanings from English Records about New England Families
The classic work often cited by more contemporaneous authors on early New England families and the records of them found within the Principal Probate Registry, Somerset House, Strand, the Public Record Office, Fetter Lane, and the British Museum, Bloomsbury, while on a visit in London during the summer and fall of 1879.
- Gleanings from English Records about New England Families
- Rhode Island Court Records
- Rhode Island, District Court Naturalization Indexes, 1906-1991
Card index of naturalizations in the U.S. District Courts in Rhode Island. Cards arranged alphabetically. Corresponds with NARA microfilm publication M2084: Indexes to Naturalization Records for the District Court, 1906-1991, and the U.S. Circuit Court, 1906-1911, Rhode Island.
- Rhode Island, Davisville, Melville, Newport, and Quonset Point, Airplane Passenger and Crew Lists, 1955-1957
This collection contains Passenger and Crew Lists of Airplanes Arriving at Davisville, Melville, Newport, and Quonset Point, New York, March 1955-March 1957. The records may include full name, position in ship’s company, age, gender, race, nationality, and permanent residence. These records correspond with NARA publication A3678 and were filmed at the NARA facility in College Park, Maryland.
- Rhode Island, District Court Naturalization Indexes, 1906-1991
- Rhode Island Forts
List of colonial forts, trading posts, named camps, redoubts, reservations, general hospitals, national cemeteries, etc., established or erected in the United States from its earliest settlement to 1902.
- Military Records
- Revolutionary War Records
- Civil War Records
- Civil War Pensions Index Cards
Each card gives the soldier’s name, unit, the application number, the certificate number and the state from which the soldier served. In some cases, the soldier’s rank, terms of service, date of death and place of death are given. The index cards refer to pension applications of veterans who served in the U.S. Army between 1861 and 1917. The majority of the records pertain to Civil War veterans, but they also include veterans of the Spanish-American War, the Philippine Insurrection, Indian wars, and World War I.
- Civil War Pensions Index Cards
- World War 1 Records
- World War II Records
- Korean War Casualty List
- Vietnam War Casualty List
- Rhode Island Indian Tribes
- Rhode Island Vital Records
- Rhode Island County Courthouse Addresses
- Rhode Island, Births and Christenings, 1600-1914
Name index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state of Rhode Island compiled from a variety of sources including family and church and civil records. The index is not complete for any particular place or region. Many records predate Rhode Island statehood.
- Rhode Island, Marriages, 1724-1916
Name index to marriage records from the state of Rhode Island. Microfilm copies of these records are available at the Family History Library and Family History Centers. Due to privacy laws, recent records may not be displayed. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
- Rhode Island, Deaths and Burials, 1802-1950
Name index to death and burial records from the state of Rhode Island. Microfilm copies of these records are available at the Family History Library and Family History Centers. This set contains 846,069 records. Due to privacy laws, recent records may not be displayed. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
Free Rhode Island RootsWeb Databases
- Alumni Lists
- Census Records
Rhode Island Genealogy Databases – Subscription May be Required
Ancestry is the largest provider of genealogy data online. The billions of records they provide have advanced genealogy online beyond imagination just a decade ago. The following is but a small sample of what they provide for Rhode Island genealogy at Ancestry. While some of these databases are free, many require a subscription. You can try a 14 day free trial and see if you can find any of your Rhode Island genealogy at Ancestry!
Rhode Island Statewide Genealogy at Ancestry.com
- Additions and corrections to the first series of Rhode Island historical tracts : with an index to the same.
- An account of the churches in Rhode Island
- Bibliography of Rhode Island : a catalogue of books and other publications relating to the state of Rhode Island, with notes, h
- Bibliography of Rhode Island history
- Biographical encyclopaedia of Connecticut and Rhode Island of the nineteenth century
- Directory of churches and religious organizations of Rhode Island
- Genealogies of Rhode Island Families, Vol. I
- Genealogies of Rhode Island Families, Vol. II
- Gleanings from the judicial history of Rhode Island
- Industries and wealth of the principal points in Rhode Island
- Inventory of the town and city archives of Rhode Island
- Inventory of the town and city archives of Rhode Island
- Memoir concerning the French settlements and French settlers in the colony of Rhode Island
- Memoirs of the Rhode Island bar
- Men of progress : biographical sketches and portraits of leaders in business and professional life in the state of Rhode Island
- Negroes on the island of Rhode Island
- Officers, boards and commissions of Rhode Island
- Official gazetteer of Rhode Island
- Official souvenir & program : Rhode Island Old Home Week
- Reminiscences of the Rhode Island bar
- Report on the archives of Rhode Island
- Rhode Island boundaries : 1636-1936
- Rhode Island Census, 1740-1890
- Rhode Island Census, 1774
- Rhode Island court records : records of the Court of Trials of the Colony of Providence Plantations, 1647-1662.
- Rhode Island Freemen, 1747-1755
- Rhode Island Historical Society
- Rhode Island Passenger Lists
- Rhode Island Passenger Lists by Maureen A. Taylor
- Rhode Island Pensioners, 1835
- Rhode Island, Births, 1636-1930
- Rhode Island, Deaths, 1630-1930
- Rhode Island, Indexes to Naturalization Records, 1890-1992
- Rhode Island, Marriages, 1636-1930
- Sketches of Rhode Island physicians : deceased prior to 1850
- Some account of the bills of credit or paper money of Rhode Island : from the first issue in 1710, to the final issue, 1786
- The Catholic Church in Rhode Island
- The history of the state of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations
- The Irish vanguard of Rhode Island
- Web: Rhode Island, Find A Grave Index, 1663-2011
Rhode Island Military Data at Ancestry
- A country boy’s first three months in the army
- A history of Company A of the Young Republican Regiment of Providence, R.I.
- Addresses and poem in commemoration of the Captain Michael Pierce fight, March 26, 1676
- Forty-six months with the Fourth R.I. Volunteers in the War of 1861 to 1865 : comprising a history of the marches, battles, and
- History of the Fifth Regiment of Rhode Island Heavy Artillery : during three years and a half of service in North Carolina : Ja
- Military history of Westerly : 1710-1932
- New index to the civil and military lists of Rhode Island
- Proceedings at the dedication of the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument in Providence : to which is appended a list of the decea
- Rhode Island Colonial War Servicemen, 1740-62
- Rhode Island in the colonial wars : a list of Rhode Island soldiers & sailors in King George’s war, 1740-1748
- Rhode Island privateers in King George’s war
- The Fourteenth Regiment Rhode Island Heavy Artillery (Colored) in the War to Preserve the Union, 1861-1865
- The Muster rolls of three companies enlisted by the colony of Rhode Island in May, 1746, for an expedition against Canada propo
- The Rhode Island 1777 Military Census
Miscellaneous Rhode Island data at Ancestry
- A dying Narragansett church
- A plea for progress : enforced and illustrated by a short dissertation on the habits and characteristics of the Rhode Island cl
- A sermon preached November 26, 1829 : being the day of Thanksgiving : containing a history of the origin and growth of the Seco
- A Summer at sea
- Almon Danforth Hodges and his neighbors : an autobiographical sketch of a typical old New Englander
- An address
- An address memorial of Alexander H. Vinton, Edward A. Washburn, Samuel Osgood, and William Rudder
- An Historical address and poem : delivered at the centennial celebration of the incorporation of the town of Barrington, June 1
- An historical discourse delivered at the celebration of the second centennial anniversary of the First Baptist Church in Provid
- An historical discourse delivered in St. John’s Church, Providence, R.I.
- An historical sermon on the occasion of the two hundredth anniversary of the foundation of St. John’s Church in Providence
- An Historical sketch of the Sisters of Mercy of Saint Francis Xavier’s Convent
- An old church in a new world : a sermon, commemorative of the two hundredth anniversary of the founding of the First Congregati
- An old New England meeting house : a sermon
- Anchors of tradition : a presentment of some little known facts and persons in a small corner of colonial New England called Na
- Annals of Trinity Church : Newport, Rhode Island, 1698-1821
- Bell Street Chapel anniversaries : James Eddy, born May 29, 1806-died May 18, 1888 (one hundredth anniversary of birth) : the c
- Bibliographical memoirs of three Rhode Island authors : Joseph K. Angell, Frances H. (Whipple) McDougall, Catharine R. Williams
- Colonial heraldry : a roll of the arms used in the English colony of Rhode Island in New England, 1636-1776 : together with his
- Death Seem’d to Stare: The New Hampshire and Rhode Island Regiments at Valley Forge
- Dedication of Ministers’ Monument : Aug. 28, 1899.
- Dedication of the Massasoit Memorial : at Warren, Rhode Island, October ninteenth, nineteen hundred and seven.
- Discourse delivered in the First Baptist Meeting House : Providence, Sunday morning, May 28, 1865, ninety years after its first
- Discourses comprising a history of the First Congregational Church in Providence
- Four papers delivered before the Westerly Historical Society of Westerly, Rhode Island : during the years 1915, 1916, and a lis
- Hand-book of the High Street Congregational Church, Providence, R.I. : containing the constitution, confession of faith, covena
- Historical discourse delivered in St. Mark’s Church, Warren, R.I.
- Historical discourse of the First Baptist Meeting-House : Providence, R.I.
- Historical sketch of the Baptist Church in Exeter, Rhode Island (Chestnut Hill)
- Historical sketch of the Narragansett Baptist Association : Rhode Island, 1860-1884
- Historical sketches of the First Congregational Church
- Historical study of the Jews in Massachusetts (1650-1750)
- History of Fall River : with notices of Freetown and Tiverton
- History of Methodism in Providence, Rhode Island
- History of the Episcopal Church in Narragansett, Rhode Island
- Homestead of Lieut. Governor William West, Scituate, Rhode Island
- Inauguration of the Perry statue, September 10, A.D. 1885 : with the addresses of William P. Sheffield, and the remarks in rece
- King’s pocket-book of Providence, R.I.
- Little Compton Families Vol. I
- Little Compton Families Vol. II
- Narragansett and Mount Hope Bays : picturesque Narragansett, an illustrated guide to the cities, towns and famous resorts of Rh
- Narragansett Bay : its historic and romantic associations and picturesque setting
- Old houses with stories
- One hundred years
- Opening of the Hazard Memorial
- Oration by Horatio Rogers, Providence, Rhode Island, 1875
- Oration delivered at the dedication of the Providence County Court House : December 18, 1877
- Roger Williams’s “Christenings make not Christians,” 1645 : a long-lost tract recovered and exactly reprinted
- Scrapbook of newspaper-clipping containing epitaphs from several cemeteries
- Sowams : with ancient records of Sowams and parts adjacent–illustrated
- Stephen Hopkins, a Rhode Island statesman : a study in the political history of the eighteenth century
- The Ancestral dictionary
- The capture of General Richard Prescott by Lt.-Col. William Barton : an address
- The centennial discourse on the one hundredth anniversary of the First Baptist Church, Warren, R.I. : November 15, 1864
- The controversy touching the Old Stone Mill in the town of Newport, Rhode Island
- The diary of Thomas Vernon : a loyalist, banished from Newport by the Rhode Island General Assembly in 1776 : with notes
- The first hundred years : Pawcatuck Seventh Day Baptist Church, Westerly, Rhode Island, 1840-1940.
- The history of the Bell Street Chapel movement : May, 1888 to July, 1902
- The Hundredth milestone
- The Juniper Hill Cemetery
- The life and recollections of John Howland : late president of the Rhode Island Historical Society
- The medical school formerly existing in Brown University
- The one hundred and seventy-fifth anniversary of the organization of the United Congregational Church
- The past and the present : Narragansett sea and shore : an illustrated guide to Providence, Newport, Narragansett Pier, Block I
- The twentieth anniversary of the Pilgrim Congregational Church, Providence, R.I.
- Three papers delivered before the Westerly Historical Society of Westerly, Rhode Island during the years 1913 to 1915
- William Coddington in Rhode Island colonial affairs
Rhode Island County Specific Genealogy at Ancestry
- History of Newport County, Rhode Island : from the year 1638 to the year 1887, including the settlement of its towns, and their
- History of Providence County, Rhode Island
- South county studies : of some eighteenth century persons, places & conditions in that portion of Rhode Island called Narragans
Rhode Island Town Specific Genealogy at Ancestry
- A copy of the old epitaphs in the burying ground of Block Island, R.I.
- A defence of Samuel Gorton and the settlers of Shawomet
- A discourse delivered at Providence, August 5, 1836 : in commemoration of the first settlement of Rhode-Island and Providence P
- A discourse delivered at the dedication of the new church edifice of the Baptist Church and Society in Warren, R.I. : May 8, 18
- A gazetteer of the states of Connecticut and Rhode-Island
- A guide to Providence River and Narragansett Bay : from Providence to Newport : in which all the towns, villages, islands and i
- A hand-book of Newport and Rhode Island
- A historical discourse delivered on the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the planting of Providence
- A history of Barrington, Rhode Island
- A history of the Unitarian Church in Newport, Rhode Island
- A list of persons assessed in the city tax of $90,170 58
- A Modern city : Providence, Rhode Island and its activities
- An historical sketch of Middletown, R.I. : from its organization in 1743, to the centennial year, 1876
- An illustrated history of Pawtucket, Central Falls, and vicinity : a narrative of the growth and evolution of the community
- Annals of Centerdale : in the town of North Providence, Rhode Island : its past and present, 1636-1909
- Annals of the town of Providence : from its first settlement to the organization of the city government in June, 1832
- Bristol, Rhode Island : a town biography
- Burrillville : as it was and as it is
- Celebration of the two-hundredth anniversary of the settlement of the town of Bristol, Rhode Island : September 24th, A.D. 1880
- Descendants of John Collins of Charlestown, R.I. and Susannah Daggett, his wife
- Early recollections of Newport, R.I. : from the year 1793 to 1811
- Early religious leaders of Newport : eight addresses delivered before the Newport Historical Society, 1917.
- Historic Newport
- Historical sketch of the town of Hopkinton
- Historical sketches of the churches of Warwick, Rhode Island
- History of the town of East Greenwich and adjacent territory : from 1677 to 1877
- History of the town of Smithfield
- History of the Wanton family of Newport, Rhode Island
- History of Woonsocket
- Ideal Newport in the eighteenth century
- Index to The early records of the town of Providence, volumes I- XXI : containing also a summary of the contents of the volumes
- Inscriptions on the grave-stones in the old churchyard of St. Paul’s Narragansett : North Kingstown, Rhode Island : with a rec
- Johnston, Rhode Island Directory, 1892
- List of members of the First Baptist Church in Providence, R.I. : with biographical sketches of the pastors.
- List of persons, copartnerships, and corporations assessed in the city tax ordered by the city council of the city of Providenc
- Newport and Narragansett Bay
- Newport Daily News (Newport, Rhode Island)
- Newport illustrated : in a series of pen & pencil sketches
- Newport Journal And Weekly News (Newport, Rhode Island)
- Newport Mercury (Newport, Rhode Island)
- Newport Mercury And Weekly News (Newport, Rhode Island)
- Newport Navalog (Newport, Rhode Island)
- Newport, Block Island and Narragansett Pier
- Newport, Rhode Island Directories, 1887-92
- North Providence centennial : a report of the celebration at Pawtucket, North Providence, of the one hundredth anniversary of t
- Notes and queries concerning the early bounds and divisions of the township of East Greenwich : as set forth in William Hall’s
- Old Providence : a collection of facts and traditions relating to various buildings and sites of historic interest in Providenc
- Pawtucket, Rhode Island Directories, 1890-92
- Providence Early Town Records
- Providence, Rhode Island Directory, 1890
- Re-union of the sons and daughters of Newport, R.I. : August 23, 1859
- Register of Seamen’s Protection Certificates from the Providence, Rhode Island Customs District, 1796-1870
- Reminiscences of Newport
- Rhode Island City Directories
- Semi-centennial of the Providence journal : January 3, 1870.
- Seventeenth century place-names of Providence plantations
- Several purchases of the lands west of Wickford
- Ships and shipmasters of old Providence : a brief account of some of the famous merchants, sea captains and ships of the past,
- Sketches of old Bristol
- Some papers delivered before the Westerly Historical Society of Westerly, Rhode Island
- Some papers delivered before the Westerly Historical Society of Westerly, Rhode Island : during the years 1940-1954.
- Tales of an old sea port : a general sketch of the history of Bristol, Rhode Island, including, incidentally, an account of the
- Tax lists of the town of Providence : during the administration of Sir Edmund Andros and his council, 1686-1689 : together with
- The early history of Narragansett : with an appendix of original documents, many of which are now for the first time published
- The early records of the town of Portsmouth
- The early records of the town of Providence
- The early records of the town of Warwick
- The First Church in Providence
- the First Congregational Church in Providence, R.I.
- The history of Warren, R.I. from the earliest times : with particular notices of Massasoit and his family
- The history of Warren, Rhode Island, in the War of the Revolution, 1776-1783
- The history of Warwick, Rhode Island : from its settlement in 1642 to the present time : including accounts of the early settle
- The old court house at Kingston where the legislature used to meet when it held sessions in Washington County
- The origin and progress of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Warren, R.I. : including notices of many clergymen and others who
- The planting and growth of Providence : illustrated in the gradual accumulation of the materials for domestic comfort, the mean
- The progress of Providence : a centennial address to the citizens of Providence, R.I.
- Town and city government in Providence
- Views of Newport, R.I. and the neighbourhood
- Vital record of Rhode Island, 1636-1850, first series, births, marriages and deaths : a family register for the people
- Westerly (Rhode Island) and its witnesses : for two hundred and fifty years, 1626-1876 : including Charlestown, Hopkinton, and
- Westerly, Rhode Island Directories, 1888-90, 1892
- Woonsocket, Rhode Island Directories, 1890-93
Additional Free Rhode Island Genealogy
United States Genealogy
United States GenWeb Project