A. Cary Judd, who has occupied various public offices, the duties of which he has discharged with promptness and fidelity, has a most creditable record. He was born in Frankfort, New York, April 16, 1850, a son of George. B. and Margaret Ann (Cary) Judd, the former a native of Connecticut, born March 26, 1801, and the latter born in New York hi 1806. The father came to Racine in 1856 in search of a favorable location, for he desired to become identified with the growing middle west. In March, 1857, he brought his family to Racine and entered upon the practice of law, for which he had previously prepared, remaining an able- member of the bar here until his death, which occurred January 23, 1883. His widow survived him for about five years, passing away January 12, 1888. George B. and Margaret Ann Judd had seven children, three girls and four boys, of whom A. Cary was the youngest.
A. Cary Judd supplemented his public school education by study in Racine College in 1861 and 1862. Determining upon the practice of law as a life work, he began reading with his father on the 28th of March, 1870, and was admitted to the bar June 18, 1872, before Justice William P. Lyon. He is today the oldest representative of the Racine bar in active practice, having for forty-tour years been connected with the work of the courts. In 1874 he was made court commissioner and occupied that position for thirty-six consecutive years-a most notable record, not only owing to the length of the term but also owing to the fidelity and capability with which he met his duties. Since 1910 he has occupied the position of justice of the peace and from 1901 until 1903 he was a member of the board of public works, occupying that office for two years and three months.
On the 21st of August, 1878, Mr. Judd was united in marriage to Miss Ellen S. Moon, of Racine, her parents being Joseph and Sophia (Gilbert) Moon, early pioneer settlers of this County. The father, who was engaged in business as a mason contractor, passed away in 1908, but the mother still survives. To Mr. and Mrs. Judd have been born four children, as follows: George Randall, an express messenger in Chicago, Everett C., who died at the age of six months, and Mabel Cary and Charles J., both at home.
Mr. Judd is independent in politics, with democratic tendencies, and he has served as a delegate to various democratic conventions. Fraternally he is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, while his religious faith is that of the Episcopal Church. Mr. Judd is not only the oldest lawyer of Racine in years of continuous practice but has occupied the same office for forty-six years. It is situated in what is known as the Judd block, one of the first brick buildings, if not the first, erected in Racine. It was purchased by his father from the Allen heirs in November, 1866, and was purchased in 1838 by Charles and Lyman Smith, the former owner being Gordon S. Hubbard. In addition to this property A. Cary Judd has owned many farms and other real estate in city and County and has ever been regarded as a progressive and enterprising business man as well as an able public official. For fifty-nine years he has lived in Racine and is familiar with every phase of the city’s growth and development, his influence being always given on the side of progress and improvement.