The inventor of the well known medical preparations widely known as “Newton’s Bitters,” “Newton’s Pills,” &c, and sold extensively for many years throughout New England and New York, died here in Norwich in January, 1856, seventy-three years of age.
Doctor Newton was a thoroughly educated physician, though not in general practice of his profession, and was much respected as a man and a citizen. Besides his medicines, which were valuable, he invented and built a church organ, which was placed in the old first church and was there used for many years.1 He was gifted with rare mechanical skill, which he exhibited in many ways to the benefit of man-kind. His name and memory deserve this passing word.
Doctor Newton held many town offices, and in 1814 represented the town in the general assembly.
He was a prominent member of the Congregational church, of which he was one of the deacons for about twenty-five years, beginning in 1812. He was a soldier of the Revolution, and the last of those soldiers to die in Norwich.
At a town meeting held at Norwich, March 25, 1814, it was “Voted that the town willing to have an organ put into the meeting house.” ↩