Thomas C. Cobb and Rev. Vannoy came to Texas in 1850 from Campbell County, Tennessee. They married two sisters named Wheeler. The girls’ brother, Samuel Wheeler, was the father of Peyton Wheeler whose mother, Nancy J. Wheeler, came to Texas with her brothers-in-law, Cobb and Vannoy. Rev. Vannoy was a Presbyterian preacher and pastured the Bethel Presbyterian Church from about 1850 to 1858 at which time the Rev. Rudolph became the pastor or this church near Lane’s Academy. No other records have been found on Rev. Vannoy later than this time and it is assumed that he must have died about 1858. It was rumored that the Cobb, Vannoy and Wheeler families brought a trunk of gold with them from Tennessee. In a letter to their relatives back in Tennessee, it was mentioned that they (Cobb and Vannoy) had helped to get Nancy J. Wheeler settled on a farm. These inscription were copied by Willie Cravens Holman in the 1950′s and that since that time cattle have completely destroyed this graveyard. It was located about halfway between Windom and Dodd City north of US 82.
Thomas C., dates illegible.
Ann L. [Wheeler], dates illegible. Wife of Thomas C.
John O., d. 14 Nov. 1852, ae. 7 yrs. Son of Thos. C. & Ann L.
Hattie, d. 21 Aug. 1864, ae. 13 yrs. Dau. of Thos. C. & Ann L.
Rev. M. D., dates illegible, died ae. 66 yrs.
Kittie [Wheeler], 1809 – 1878. Wife of Rev. M. D.
Ollivia C., 1849 – 1857, ae. 8 yrs.