William A. Sims, M. D. is a son of William and Julia (Cooke) Sims, who are Tennesseans, born in 1826 and 1833 respectively. They were married in west Tennessee and immediately located in Crockett County where they have since resided. Of eight children born to them five are living, four sons and one daughter. Three of the sons are physicians and one is a teacher, though all have taught school. Both parents and all the children are members of the Christian Church.
Dr. William A. Sims was born January 15, 1857 in Crockett County. His early education was quite limited as his father was poor and unable to give his children good advantages, but they all have acquired good educations through their own efforts. The Doctor taught school for some time and in 1878 began the study of medicine under Dr. W. T. MacLine. In 1880-81 he attended lectures in the University of Tennessee, and in the latter year opened an office five miles west of Tiptonville, where he practiced until 1883 and then completed his course at the Eclectic Medical Institute, at Cincinnati, Ohio graduating the same year. Soon after, he located in Tiptonville, where he has since resided and has an extensive practice.
In 1883 he married Lillian McCulloch, who was born in Gibson County, Tennessee, December 11, 1861. They have one child, Ernest C. Dr. Sims is a democrat and his wife is a member of the Christian Church.