Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
This establishment is the principal one of its kind in Eastern Oregon, and in many respects the model one of the state. The present firm composed of J. A. Geddes and Wm. Pollman, succeeded Geddes & Kraft in 1889. At that time they were located in the rear of S. A. Heilner’s in a small building 18×30. In 1891 they established the City Market moved there altogether in 1894, but being continually pressed for room, last year erected their present building, the New Market.
It is 25×100, two stories and is beyond doubt the best constructed building in town. No expense was spared In finishing it, hard wood being used altogether. In the handling and display of meats all the modern devices are used, such as iron track, which enables them to run a beef from the front to any portion of the building, without handling it. Portable meat racks for display, etc.
They are packers of the well known Nugget brand of cured meats and lard, this brand of beef lard being absolutely pure. Their slaughter houses are on the Virtue road, and it connection with stock and feed yards cover an area of 20 acres. They kill all their own meats, which is bought by Mr. J. A. Geddes, whose long experience in the business enables him to select only the best. They also own a number of ranches in the valley on which their beef and range cattle are kept until needed to kill. They put up 400 tons of ice a year for their own use, and contemplate shortly putting in a complete storage plant at the slaughter house. In addition to the one they now have in the New Market. They employ eleven experienced assistants, including the foreman, Andrew Manus, who supervises the curing of all meats. Their trade extends all through the mining country tributary to Baker City. Frank Geddes is in charge of the City Market which shop is also owned by the firm. William Pollman looks carefully after the inside business of the firm, both members of which are well known in commercial circles for their ability and enterprise