J. M. Daniels, who is engaged in farming and cattle raising two miles south of Nowata, in Nowata County, was born on the Verdigris River, near Coodys Bluff, on the 15th of August, 1875, a son of Alvin and Avy (Sisco) Daniels, both natives of Arkansas.
They were among the early pioneers to Indian Territory and the father achieved more than substantial success in farming and cattle raising. He is deceased. His widow is living near Oglesby, at the age of seventy-one years. J. M. Daniels is a nephew of Holland L. Parrish, the father of W. T. and A. H. Parrish, extended mention of whom is made elsewhere in this work. Mr. Parrish is one of the old-timers and a most highly respected and beloved citizen of Coodys Bluff.
In the acquirement of an education J. M. Daniels attended the log cabin school at Coodys Bluff and put his textbooks away at the age of seventeen years. For the following twelve years he followed farming on his own account, near Nowata, and he then went into the cattle business, one-half mile south of his present location. He owned one hundred and thirty acres of fine ranch land there but disposed of it in 1911, and has since operated the farm of his sister, Mrs. Case Muir. She and her husband are living retired in Nowata. The farm consists of two hundred and seventy acres, on which Mr. Daniels raises corn, wheat, oats and cattle and hogs. A good home and outbuildings make the farm an attractive one and it is one of the show places of the community. Mr. Daniels is a progressive farmer and keeps in touch with all the latest machines and other methods for the cultivation of the land.
In 1897 Mr. Daniels was united in marriage to Mary Henderson, a native of Texas. She is well known and highly respected in this community. Mr. Daniels is a wide-awake and enterprising man and one whose aid can always be counted upon in the development and up-building of the community.