Charles L., son of John N. and Eliza (Graham) Brown, was born in Lodi, New York. March 25. 1852. He attended the public and high schools of Rochester, and the knowledge thus acquired was supplemented by attendance at the Rochester Business University. ‘He followed commercial pursuits for a long period of time, these proving highly remunerative, and in 1890 engaged in the drug business in Victor, New York. continuing in the same up to the present time, achieving a large degree of success. In addition to his business career, he has been active in the political life of his adopted city, serving in the capacity of clerk of the town one term, member of the board of inspectors of elections about fifteen years, elected town clerk in 1891. holding that office continuously to the present time with the exception of two years. treasurer of the village corporation for about seven years. also instituted the form of keeping books now (1910) used in the treasurer’s office. His religious affiliation is with the Methodist church, and his political with the Republican party. He is a member of Mystic Circle and a charter member of the Order of Turkeys. This brief resume of Mr. Brown’s many spheres of activity proves the broadness of his mental vision, and whether considered as merchant, employer, churchman, politician or clubman, he has always been found true to himself and true to his fellows.
Mr. Brown married, January 27, 1880, Mary E.. daughter of Montgomery and Joanna (Reeve) Camp. Children: Vera H., born 1882; Tuttle G., 1884. Mrs. Brown has been organist of the Presbyterian, Methodist and Universalist churches of Victor for a period of twenty-three rears.