A complete listing of all the Indian villages, towns and settlements as listed in Handbook of Americans North of Mexico.
(Kaya‛hage, the fork of the stream. Hewitt). A village, perhaps belonging to the Wyandot, formerly situated on the northeast side of Cuyahoga River, near Akron, Ohio.
A Shawnee village, before 1748, on the Ohio River, about 60 m. by water above Logstown, probably near Kittanning, Armstrong County, Pennsylvania. Peter Chartier was an influential Shawnee half-breed about that period. (J. M.)
(from Clĭ-la-ka′tha). One of the four tribal divisions of the Shawnee. The division is still recognized in the tribe, but the meaning of the word is lost. The Chillicothe always occupied a village of the same name, and this village was regarded as the chief town of the tribe. As the Shawnee retreated west before the whites, several villages of this name were successively occupied and abandoned. The old Lowertown, or Lower Shawnee Town, at the mouth of the Scioto, in Ohio, was probably called Chillicothe. Besides this, there were three other villages of that name in Ohio, viz:
- On Paint Creek, on the site of Old-town, near Chillicothe, in Ross County. This village may have been occupied by the Shawnee after removing from Lowertown. It was there as early as 1774, and was destroyed by the Kentuckians in 1787.
- On the Little Miami, about the site of Oldtown, in Greene County. The Shawnee are said to have removed from Lowertown to this village, but it seems more probable that they went to the village on Paint Creek. This village near Oldtown was frequently called Old Chillicothe, and Boone was a prisoner there in 1778. It was destroyed by Clark in 1780.
- On the (Great) Miami, at the present Piqua, in Miami County; destroyed by Clark in 1782. (J. M.)
Given by Sauvole as a village on Wabash (i. e. Ohio) River, above a Chickasaw village that was 140 leagues from the Mississippi in 1701. As it is represented as on the route to Carolina, Tennessee River may have been intended. Perhaps a Cherokee town.
(Heckewelder derives a similar name, Coshecton, from gichiéchton (German form), finished, completed). Formerly the chief town of the Turtle tribe of the Delawares, on the site of Coshocton, Coshocton County, Ohio. Destroyed by the whites in 1781.
A former Wyandot village on the site of the present Royalton, Fairfield County, Ohio. It was known to the Indians as Tarhe, from the name of a chief in 1790, at which time it contained about 500 inhabitants in 100 wigwams built of bark.
The Delawares had two villages, each known as Custaloga’s Town, from the name of its chief, probably one and the same person. The first village was near French Creek, opposite Franklin, Venango County, Pennsylvania, in 1760; the other was on Walhonding River, near Killbucks Creek, in Coshocton County, Ohio, in 1766. The chief of this second village was chief of the Unalachtigo Delawares, and had probably removed from the first village about 1763. The name is also written Costeloga, Custalaga, Custologa, Custologo, Kustaloga.
(↵ returns to text)