Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
GEORGE W. LEGG. After an industrious and well-spent life devoted to the occupation of farming, George W. Legg is now living in retirement at McDonald Station, Missouri, and is in the enjoyment of a competency which his early industry has brought him. He is a Virginian by birth, and first opened his eyes on the light in 1827, being a son of Willis and Susannah (Land) Legg, natives of Virginia also, who removed to Ohio when the subject of this sketch was a small lad, but a few years later returned to their old home. The father was successfully engaged in tilling the soil, but also run a keelboat on the Kanawha, Ohio and Mudd Rivers, and in the last named stream eventually lost his life. His father, Davenport Legg, resided in Virginia many years. After the death of her husband Mrs. Susannah Legg returned to Ohio, and there she was called from life prior to the opening of the Civil War. She bore her husband two sons and five daughters: James, of Illinois; George W., Sarah, Lucinda, Lydia; Lettie, who died in Ohio, and Nancy, who died young.
George W. Legg obtained a thorough knowledge of farming in his youth, and received a fair education in the common schools near his rural home. He was married in 1852, in Lawrence County, Ohio, to Charlotte, daughter of John and Elizabeth Vermillion, who were probably natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania. respectively, but were married in the Buckeye State, where the rest of their lives were spent in tilling the soil. Mrs. Legg was born in Lawrence County, and was there also reared and educated. Her union with Mr. Legg has resulted in the birth of the following children: John Perry, of Shannon County, Missouri; Amy, wife of James Herald, of Shannon County; Frank, of Carter County; James Henry; Francis M.; Jane, wife of James Holland; Anna, wife of William Snider; Lottie; Jesse (deceased), Elizabeth, Martha and Susan, the three last mentioned dying when quite young. In 1877.
Mr. Legg came with his family to Carter County, Missouri, and here has made his home ever since with the exception of the time from April to October, 1893, when he was a resident of the State of Washington, but not liking the climate he returned to this county and gave his attention to farming here. He is the owner of a remarkably fertile farm on Pike Creek, which he has earned through his own unaided efforts, save the assistance and advice of his wife, and now in his declining years enjoys the comforts which a liberal income brings him, and is retired from the hard work and cares which a business life always brings. He came to this section for the purpose of obtaining land for the benefit of his children, and he has aided them in every way that a thoughtful and affectionate father could. Although a Democrat before the war, he has since been a Republican, and while a resident of Ohio, held the office of township treasurer for some years.