John W. Clark was born in Chillicothe, Missouri, September 4, 1853. He is the son of Dr. John K. Clark, a native of Kentucky, who is practicing his profession at present in Farmersville, Missouri. Mr. Clark was educated at Spring Hill, Livingston county, Missouri. He commenced life for himself on, the North Missouri Railway, and continued that business for two years, then served an apprenticeship, learning the watch-making trade at St. Joseph, Missouri, under August Wetteroth, who is regarded as one of the best workmen in the country. After finishing his apprenticeship he went to Denver and thence to Deadwood, working for a short time in each of these places at his trade.
Mr. Clark located in Jamesport in 1876 with nothing but his tools and a good stock of pluck and determination, and by strict attention to business, good management and honorable dealing, has secured the support and patronage of the community, and built up a lucrative trade. He has a large and varied stock of all articles kept by a first-class jeweler, and is in a very prosperous condition. His success is the result of his own work.
Mr. Clark was married in Spring Hill, November 22, 1877, to Miss Lizzie Wilburn, daughter of Charles H. and Tabitha Wilburn, of that place. Mrs. Clark was born in Spring Hill, Livingston county, Missouri, on the 27th day of March; 1858. Their union was the result of a long and intimate acquaintance, having lived in the same block for a great number of years. Their mothers were school children together, and the most amicable and friendly relations have always existed between the two families. Mr. and Mrs. Clark have one child, Ora Ernest, who was born December 17, 1878.