On June 1, 1812, President James Madison gave a speech to the U.S. Congress, recounting American grievances against Great Britain, though not specifically calling for a declaration of war. After Madison’s speech, the House of Representatives quickly voted (79 to 49) to declare war, and the Senate by 19 to 13. The conflict formally began on June 18, 1812 when Madison signed the measure into law. This was the first time that the United States had declared war on another nation, and the Congressional vote would prove to be the closest vote to declare war in American history. None of the 39 Federalists in Congress voted in favor of the war; critics of war subsequently referred to it as “Mr. Madison’s War.”
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
The declaration of war was passed by the smallest margin recorded on a war vote in the United States Congress. On May 11, Prime Minister Spencer Perceval was shot and killed by an assassin, resulting in a change of the British government, putting Lord Liverpool in power. Liverpool wanted a more practical relationship with the United States. He issued a repeal of the Orders in Council, but the U.S. was unaware of this, as it took three weeks for the news to cross the Atlantic.
1812 – 1814Roster of Ohio Soldiers in the War of 1812
The Roster of Ohio Soldiers in the War of 1812 consisted of a total of 26,280 men who enlisted from Ohio to assist the nation. This is the complete roster. They comprised of 3 regiments, 464 companies, 13 cavalry troops, and 1 artillery battery. This collection has broken up this list for easier perusal by the company, troop, or battery of the soldiers.
Ohio (hosted at US GenWeb Archives or USGenWeb War 1812 Project)
- Ashtabula County
- Belmont County
- Capt. McElroy’s Company Roster October 1812
- Trumbull County
- Bounty Land
- Service Record
Ohio Subscription Military Databases
- The General Society of the War of 1812, 1976 Bicentennial Supplement to the 1972 Register Robert Glenn Thurtle Editor – Free Index
- The Roster of the General Society of the War of 1812
- War of 1812 Papers, 1789-1815
- War of 1812 Pension Application Files Index, 1812-1815
- War of 1812 Service Records
- War of 1812, Prisoner of War Records, 1812-1815
- War of 1812: Miscellaneous Canadian Records
- Register of the General Society of the War of 1812