Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Jeremiah Rogers House.
This lot was probably granted to Rev. Hugh Peter when he was settled as pastor of the church here in 1635. He probably lived in the house that was early erected on this lot. After the close of his ministry here he returned to England; and, 8: 12mo: 1659, by his attorney Charles Gott of Wenham, for twelve pounds, he conveyed the house and lot to Benjamin Felton of Salem;1 and about a year later was executed as a regicide upon the accession to the throne of Charles II. Mr. Felton conveyed the house and lot to Jeremiah Rogers of Salem, for sixty pounds, Nov. 29, 1681.2 Mr. Rogers was a wheelwright, and lived in this house for many years. Here was probably born his son, Rev. John Rogers, who became the second minister of Boxford, and to whom his father conveyed the premises, for one hundred and fifty pounds, May 1, 1717.3 Rev. Mr. Rogers never lived here after he acquired the title, but let the house until March 26, 1750, when, for eighteen hundred pounds, he conveyed the estate to David Britton of Salem, gentleman, who then lived in the house.4 The house was burned in the great fire, Oct. 6, 1774; and Captain Britton sold the lot, for four hundred and eighty pounds, to Henry Rust of Salem, merchant.5 Mr. Rust came from Ipswich to Salem when a boy, and learned the carpenter’s trade of Jonathan Gavet. He became a merchant, and upon this lot erected a brick residence, in one room of which was Dabney’s Bookstore of a century ago.
Source: The Essex Antiquarian May 1899