Adams, Marshall, son of John Abigail (Sampson) Adams, was born in Providence, Barnstable County, December 4, 1842.
His early educational work was done in the Provincetown schools until 1856. He attended Paul Wing’s Academy, Sandwich, and subsequently Frost Academy, Framingham, and was graduated from the Cotting Academy, Arlington.
Mr. Adams was first connected in business with Fairbanks, Adams & Co., Boston, ship brokers. Later on he was with O. D. Witherell, coal dealer, Boston, and with John P. Squire & Co., pork dealers, Boston. From 1865 to 1879 he was a grocer and ice dealer in Providence He is at the present time engaged in town business, having always been active in all public matters that pertained to the growth and development of his native place. He was elected selectman, assessor, overseer of the poor, 1880, and has held the office up to date. He was elected county treasurer November 1886, and was appointed immigrant agent for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in 1885.
He is disbursing agent for Shaw Asylum for Mariners’ Children, and regent of the Mayflower Council, Royal Arcanum.
He was chairman of the building committee of the new town hall, which was dedicated August 25, 1886, and in 1889 was appointed chairman of the committee on water supply for Providence.
January 23, 1863, at Boston, Mr. Adams was married to Mary A., daughter of William and Elizabeth Moore. He has one son: John Adams.