Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
William Harry Little, M. D. The community of Alta Vista in Wabaunsee County had had the capable services of Doctor Little as a physician for more than fifteen years. In connection with his large practice Doctor Little also conducts the leading drug store of the village.
Doctor Little is a native of Ohio, but had spent most of his life in Kansas. He was born in Lucas County, near the City of Toledo, November 5, 1868. He is of colonial American stock, originally from Scotland. His people were early settlers in Pennsylvania and pioneers in the State of Ohio. His father, Alfred Little, was born at Youngstown, Ohio, in 1841, and at the age of thirteen became a canal boatman, operating on the canal between Cincinnati and Toledo. He followed that as a regular business until 1879, when he came West and settled in McPherson County, Kansas, joining the pioneers of that section. His farm was ten miles northwest of the Town of McPherson, and he lived there until his death in 1902. He was a republican in politics and a very strong and active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Alfred Little married Elizabeth Elliott. She was born in 1845, in Lucas County, Ohio, and is now living, at the age of seventy-two, with her daughter, Mrs. C. E. Blackman in McPherson, Kansas. She was the mother of five children, Doctor Little being the oldest. Lewis, born in 1872, is a resident of Spearville, Kansas, and owned and operates a threshing outfit. Homer was a farmer in McPherson County and was accidentally shot and killed on Easter Sunday of 1911. Nettis is the wife of C. E. Blackman, a farmer and agricultural implement dealer at McPherson. Bert, the youngest child, owned a farm at McPherson.
Doctor Little acquired his early education in the rural schools of Lucas County, Ohio. He was eleven years of age when the family came to Kansas and he continued his education while living on the farm in McPherson County. His real preparation for his profession was made after he reached his majority and through his own earnings and efforts. For two years Doctor Little attended Bethany College at Lindsborg, Kansas, and at the end of a three years’ course was graduated in March, 1900, with the degree M. D. from the Kansas City Medical College. For a year and a half he practiced at Beulah in Reno County, Kansas, and had been a resident of Alta Vista since 1903. He had a general medical and surgical practice in both the town and country. It would be impossible for him to look after his numerous patients over such a wide territory without the use of an automobile, and he owned and handles very expertly a seven passenger Buiek car. Doctor Little bought the drug store on Grant Street in 1910, and he conducts the store and had his offices there. His home is also on Grant Street.
Doctor Little is a member of the County Medical Society, is an old line republican in politics, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, is past master of Alta Vista Lodge No. 357, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, is past consul of Alta Vista Camp No. 176, Modern Woodmen of America, and belongs to the Occidental Mutual Benefit Association at Salina.
Doctor Little had been twice married. In 1890, at McPherson, he married Miss Cassie Kirkpatrick, who died at Alta Vista in 1903, the mother of two children. Fay is now the wife of C. E. Carlson, motor truck foreman for the Peck Sand Company at Kansas City, Missouri. The son Harry, born May 3, 1900, graduated from the Alta Vista High School in 1917 and is now a student in Kansas University. On July 17, 1906, at Council Grove, Kansas, Doctor Little married Mrs. Nellie L. (Weaver) Dilley. She was born in Michigan and her first husband, Charles Dilley, was a teacher by occupation.