Victor A. Hays is an example of the successful American who began as a telegraph operator and has reached a commanding position in industrial affairs. He is president of the Kansas Natural Gas Company and has spent the greater part of his active career in the oil and gas fields of the East and Southwest.
Like many other successful men in the oil and gas industry Victor A. Hays is a native of Venango County, Pennsylvania, and of Irish ancestry. He was born near Oil City on April 27, 1863. He was educated in the public and Normal schools and began his independent career in 1880 by learning telegraphy. He was employed in that work until 1886, when he engaged in the natural gas business, entering the service of the Oil City Fuel Supply Company as bookkeeper, and has since been continuously in that business.
Mr. Hays has been identified with the Kansas Natural Gas Company since 1905, beginning as general auditor and holding that position until he was elected president in December, 1914. His home has been at Independence since 1910. He is also president of the subsidiary companies of Kansas Natural Gas Company, including the Marnet Mining Company, the Edgar Oil Company, and the California Oil and Gas Company.
Mr. Hays resides at 216 South Fifth Street. He is a democrat, a member of the Presbyterian Church, is affiliated with Ionic Lodge, No. 525, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Duquesne Chapter, No. 193, Royal Arch Masons, at Pittsburgh, is now serving as eminent commander of St. Bernard Commandery, No. 10, Knights Templar of Independence, belongs to Wichita Consistory No. 2 of the thirty-second degree Scottish Rite, and to Mirza Temple of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine at Pittsburg, Kansas. He is also a member of the Independence Country Club.
In 1904 Mr. Hays was married to Susan D. Thompson, of Allegheny City, Pennsylvania.