The third General Assembly convened at Iowa City on the 2d of December, 1850, and adjourned Feb. 45, 1851. At this time about forty new counties in the north and southwestern part of Iowa were created. Mitchell county was among this number. Its boundaries were minutely definied and organization was authorized as soon as the population warranted it. The name, it is thought by many, was bestowed in honor of that noble Irish patriot, John Mitchell. Others think it was named in honor of a surveyor by that name. Who suggested the name is unknown.
This collection contains only the farmers directory of the manuscript.