OTHO W. DOUGLAS. The work of the firm of Daniels, Lyst & Douglas in the construction of many of the most substantial thoroughfares of Anderson and the surrounding cities and towns, has been of a character not only to leave its impress on the community for many years to come, but to bring the members of the concern prominently before the public as business men of ability, whose activities are serving to advance their section in many ways. Otho W. Douglas, the junior member of this firm, a man of wide and varied experience and versatile talents, is numbered among those who have been the architects of their own fortunes. Although a man of scholarly attainments, he has worked with his hands and trodden the familiar but difficult self-made way to success, and his career has distinctly demonstrated that force, strength, character and resolution dwell within him, qualities necessary to those who would gain a full measure of prosperity. Mr. Douglas was horn in Iroquois County, Illinois, October 25, 1874. He is the third son of James Hamilton Douglas, a. native of Indiana, and a representative of an old and honored family of the Hoosier State. Mr. Douglas came from Washington County, Indiana, to Illinois, where he spent only a short time, when he came back to the State of his nativity. Subsequently he went to Kansas, where he has resided during the past thirty years. His wife passed away at the time of the birth of the subject of this review.
The early educational training of Otho W. Douglas was secured in the graded and high schools of Salem, Indiana, and on leaving the latter entered the State Normal school at Terre Haute, Indiana. Following his graduation therefrom, he became a student in the State University at Bloomington, Indiana, and then adopted the vocation of educator and after teaching for some time in the schools of Salem, became a teacher in the high school there. He also taught in the Anderson high school six years, and then he turned his attention to business pursuits, and became a member of the firm of Daniels & Lyst, the style at that time being changed to Daniels, Lyst & Douglas, and as such it has continued to remain to the present time. This firm, from its extensive acquaintance, and the long period in which its members have been known to the business world, is recognized one of the leading concerns of street paving contractors in this part of the state. Mr. Douglas has justly won the American title of self-made man. His career has been one of constant endeavor. A man of great energy and enterprise, of force of character and resolute purpose, at all times his business has been conducted along the lines of commercial honor and personal integrity. Although essentially a business man, he has not been indifferent to the pleasures of social association with his fellow-men, and is popular with his fellow members in the local lodges of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Modern Woodmen of America.
In 1895, Mr. Douglas was united in marriage with Miss Maude M. Zink, of Salem, Indiana, a daughter of Jacob D. and Martha (Crim) Zink. This union has been blessed with the birth of one daughter: Aims Katherine, who is attending school in Anderson. Mr. Douglas and his wife and daughter are members of the First Christian Church. The neat and substantial family residence is located on West Eleventh street.. Mr. Douglas is rather independent in his political views, believing it his right to east his ballot for the candidate he deems best fitted for the office, irrespective of party lines. He has never aspired to public office nor entered the arena as a candidate, but takes a lively interest in all matters that affect the welfare of his adopted community, and may at all times be depended upon to support those movements which make for progress and good citizenship.