Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
John T. Irwin, retired farmer, and for many years a highly respected citizen of the county, is a son of George and Jemima (Russell) Irwin, and was born in Lawrence County, Ohio, May 28, 1824. His father was a native of Montgomery County, Ohio, and his mother of Cabell County, West Virginia. George Irwin was born October 23, 1799, and died May 23, 187r. He followed the occupation of farming principally; emigrated from his native county to Lawrence county, Ohio, in the year 1818. He was a son of Thomas Irwin, Who was a native of Ireland, and served in the war of 1812.
John Russell (maternal grandfather) was born in Virginia and was a weaver by trade.
In 1870 Mr. Irwin removed from Ohio to Illinois, and settled on a farm of three hundred and twenty acres, two miles north of Camargo, where he continued the pursuits of the farm until 1894. In that year he retired from active business and removed into the village of Camargo, where he and his wife reside in one of the most beautiful homes in the village. When he retired he divided his property among his children.
On September 11, 1845, he wedded Miss Lettie Wiseman, who was born in Monroe county, Virginia, and was a (laughter of Isaac and Sarah (Ramsey) Wiseman. Her grandfather, Isaac Wiseman, was probably a native of Virginia. To John T. Irwin and wife have been born eight children, four of whom are now living: William T., who resides in Chicago; Lewis K., who resides on part of the old homestead ; Harriet, wife of Dr. NV. H. Burtnette; and Ida May, wife of Charles D. Hammett, of Tuscola. They have four dead: Sarah J., Mary E., Jane and Ella. Mrs. Irwin was born May 6, 1827. They will have been married fifty-five years their next wedding anniversary. John T. Irwin’s early advantages for an education were very limited, he having attended only fourteen days in all at school. He has served as supervisor of Camargo township, and he has been superintendent of roads.
On July 4, 1861, he volunteered in an independent company of Ohio cavalry. These were ninety-day men called out to serve until they were superseded by a company of regulars. On July 22, 1863, he joined the Ninety-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, as first lieutenant of Company D, and in the Following October he was wounded in a skirmish near Mt. Pleasant, Maryland, which disabled him for further active service. He was licensed to exhort in the Methodist Episcopal church in 1865.