Frank Delaney. For forty years Champaign County has been the home of Frank Delaney, and his name, especially in Newcomb Township, is spoken with every degree of respect attaching to a man whose achievements have been commendable and whose influence has been in every degree salutary and beneficial in the community. Mr. Delaney is now serving as township supervisor.
He was born in McLean County, Illinois, September 13, 1868, one of the ten children of James and Bridget (Trainer) Delaney. Of the six sons and four daughters eight are still living. James Delaney was a native of the Emerald Isle, grew up in Ireland, and when he came to America he was truly a stranger in a strange land and almost penniless. He had to cross the ocean on a sailing vessel and it was eleven weeks before the vessel landed its passengers in New York. After a brief residence in New York State he came West to Bloomington, Illinois. He was not in financial circumstances that would permit him an independent career at the start, and as a wage earner he worked on farms until he could accumulate enough to become an independent farmer. Agriculture was his life-long vocation. After strict economy for a number of years he was able to buy eighty acres of land, which original tract is in the fine farm now owned and occupied by his son Frank. That the subsequent years brought him ample prosperity and reward for his good judgment and industry is indicated by the fact that during his lifetime he acquired an estate of 860 acres, 540 acres in Champaign County and 320 acres in Hancock County, Iowa. The death of this hard working farmer occurred in Champaign County in 1892. He was a Democrat, and an active member of St. Malachi Catholic Church at Rantoul. His wife was also a native of Ireland and a devout Catholic. She died in 1912.
In the years of early boyhood Frank Delaney learned the lesson taught by experience that there is no excellence without labor and that the best rewards of life are paid to due diligence and an earnest pursuit of definite ends. By the same principle he obtained most of his early education. When he left home it was to become a wage earner and farm hand, and the first year he worked at $20 a month. He then started as a renter, and while he has long owned a share in the agricultural lands of Champaign County he continued as a tenant farmer until about five years ago. With three of his brothers he had bought 150 acres of land, and he and his brother Henry subsequently bought the other shares. With this as a nucleus Frank Delaney has increased his possessions until his estate now comprises 396 acres situated in Newcomb and Brown townships. In these modern days such a farm spells independence and success. His home place is thoroughly improved and it has a comfortable residence. Besides his farm Mr. Delaney is a stockholder in the Lotus Coal and Grain Elevator Company at Lotus, Illinois.
The chief impetus to his efforts during all these years has been his good wife and their growing family. On April 5, 1893, he married Miss Anna L. McGuire. They have four living children, two sons and two daughters. Leonard F. was educated in the common schools and is now a practical young agriculturist. He is a Democrat and a member of the Catholic Church at Bellflower, Illinois. Wayne H., the younger son, has completed the common school course and is now in the second year of the Fisher High School. Catherine F. is a student in St. Joseph’s Academy at Bloomington, Illinois, and along with literary studies has taken musical instruction. Hazel, the youngest, is in the Walker School. The children have all been carefully reared and the older ones have been confirmed in the Catholic Church.
Mrs. Delaney was born in DeWitt County, Illinois. She had a common school education. Her parents, Michael and Catherine McGuire, are still living and have their home in Fisher. They are members of the Catholic parish at Rantoul. Mrs. Delaney has her membership in the Catholic Church at Bellflower and both she and her husband did much to aid the parish in the erection of the church. Mrs. Delaney is strictly a home woman and finds her greatest delight in the duties of home making and her children.
Politically Mr. Delaney has always been a Democrat. His fellow citizens have sought his cooperation through public office and he served as road commissioner three years, and for eighteen years was a director of his home school district. In 1917 he was unanimously elected to the office of supervisor of Newcomb Township. This is the highest and most important township office. Mr. Delaney has always shown himself a ready advocate and supporter of the good roads movement. He is a member of the Catholic Church at Bellflower. Like many other prosperous Champaign County farmers, he has an automobile both for business and pleasure and his Buick touring car places his country home in close touch with church, school and the village and city centers.