Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Edward W. Calvin, the leading druggist and owner of both livery stables of Newman, was born in Wayne County, Illinois, December 21, 1860. He is a son of Dr. J. W. Calvin, who was born in Kentucky in 1829, and he the son of Hiram Calvin, who was a native of Virginia. His father was a graduate of Rush Medical College. He married Sarah Brown, of New Buffalo, Michigan, whose death occurred some twenty years ago. He has practiced at various places, was at Newman one year and is at present in active and successful practice at Toledo, Ohio.
E. W. Calvin has for several years extensively engaged in buying and selling horses and has been remarkably successful in all business enterprises in which he has been interested. In June, 1897, he opened out in the drug business and keeps on hands one of the most complete assortments of drugs found in a first-class drug store.
In 1889 he was united in marriage to Miss Emma Smith, of Vermilion County. They have one child, Oka McCrea. Mrs. Calvin is a daughter of Michael Smith, who was born in Vermilion County, Illinois. Her mother was Mary Ann Snapp. She was a daughter of George Snapp, a native of Richmond, Virginia, He was a carriage maker by trade and after working some time at his trade in Richmond he removed to Georgetown, Vermilion County. He was in the war of 1812. Mrs. Calvin’s grandfather, Joseph Smith, was a native of Nashville, Tennessee, and later removed to Vermilion County, where he resided until his death. In about 189o Mrs. Calvin started her present millinery store in Newman and carries a stock as large and varied as can be found in many towns of from ten thousand to fifteen thousand people. Edward W. Calvin has made a success of every business venture he has ever undertaken. He takes an active interest in political and social affairs and is public spirited and interests himself in everything that helps Newman and Douglas County.