Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
MILTON, (SOUTH) a small village, in a deep fertile valley, 3 miles S.W. of Kingsbridge, has in its parish 475 souls, and 1556A. 3R. 11P. of land, including Upton and Sutton hamlets. Mrs. Prideaux is lady of the manor, but a great part of the parish belongs to W. R. Ilbert, Esq., of Horsewell House, a large and neat mansion, formerly the seat of the Roopes, from whom it passed to the Ilberts. Holwell belongs to Mrs. Gilbert and the Rev. E. Reed and the Earl of Devon have small estates here. The Church is a handsome structure, of perpendicular architecture, with a lofty embattled tower, containing six bells. The benefice is annexed to the vicarage of West Alvington, and the tithes were commuted in 1839, the vicarial for £128. 4s., and the rectorial for £219. 1s. W. R. Ilbert, Esq., is lessee of the latter, under the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury. The Parish Lands, &c., comprises 7 acres, and 4 cottages, let for £15. 6s., applied to the use of the church and poor.