William Henry Richey Allison, a prominent barrister in the county of Prince Edward, and surrogate judge of the Maritime Court of Ontario, was born near Brockville, on April 17, T836. His father, Rev. Cyrus R. Allison, a noted Wesleyan minister, was also a native of this Province, preached for many years in the vicinity of the Bay of Quint, and died at Picton, in 1869. The mother of our subject was Eve Hoover, also a native of Ontario, and the daughter of a United Empire Loyalist. She is still living.
Mr. Allison was educated at Victoria College, Cobourg; studied law with Philip Low, Q.C., of Picton; was called to the Bar at Michaelmas term, 1864, and from that date has been in constant practice in this town. He does business in all the courts, and his standing is second to that of no lawyer in the county. He is well read; prepares his case with great care; is painstaking in all his legal work, and has great influence with a jury, being clear, argumentative, forcible and persuasive. His success at the Bar has been quite note worthy.
Mr. Allison was in the town council many years; was one of the first directors of the Prince Edward railway, which was opened from Picton to Trenton in 1879; is one of the trustees of the public schools, and was appointed a surrogate judge of the Maritime Court of Ontario in 1879.
His political proclivities are to the Reform side, and at times, during an animated canvass he has done “yeoman’s service” for his party on the “stump.”
He is an Odd Fellow, being a member of the Grand Lodge of Ontario; and is also a member of the Methodist church of Canada.
In September, 1861, Mr. Allison was united in marriage with Miss Anna M., daughter of John P. Roblin, deceased, late registrar of Prince Edward county, and for many years a member of Parliament, and they have one son, Malcolm Roblin, who is pursuing his studies in the local schools.
The father-in-law of our subject mentioned above, was one of those bold spirits who fought the battle for “Responsible Government” in Parliament, and broke up the so called “Family Compact.” His memory is cherished very sacredly in Picton and the county of Prince Edward.