John Aberdein established his residence in Riverside in 1880, and in 1881 purchased the block between Fifth and Sixth and Lime and Lemon streets. His block contained two and one-half acres, and was devoid of any horticultural or building improvements. Mr. Aberdein immediately commenced the planting of citrus and deciduous fruit trees and the erection of his residence, and has now one of the representative homes of Riverside. His orange grove contains the choicest varieties of budded fruits, Washington Navels, Mediterranean Sweets and Malta Bloods. He also has a variety of deciduous fruits for family use. A well arranged two-story residence and suitable outbuildings, surrounded by ornamental trees and beautiful flowering plants, render his home one of the most pleasant and attractive character. Mr. Aberdein is a native of Scotland, born near Aberdeen, in 1821. His parents were John and Mary (Leighton) Aberdein, natives of Scotland. His father was a farmer by occupation and reared his son to that calling, giving him the advantage of a good education in the public schools. Mr. Aberdein also devoted considerable attention to landscape gardening.
In 1853 he decided to try his fortunes in the new world and immigrated to the United States, locating in Knox County, Illinois, where he was engaged as a book-keener and clerk in a mercantile business until 1861. In that year he responded to the call of his adopted country and entered the military service as a private in Company C, Forty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, under the command of Captain Walworth, Colonel Webb commanding the regiment. Mr. Aberdein’s good conduct and soldierly qualities gained him promotion to the non-commissioned staff, and he was made a Sergeant. He participated in many of the hard-fought battles of the West, among them the battles of Corinth, Island No. 10, Nashville and Stone River. In the latter engagement he was severely wounded, being struck no less than four times. His wounds were of a serious character and disabled him for further service, and in the spring of 1863 he was honorably discharged. He then returned to Knox County and was employed in the drug business until 1864. In that year he was elected clerk of the Circuit Court of Knox County, and held that important office for four years. He then engaged in mercantile pursuits until he came to California in 1880.
He has belonged to the Republican Party ever since he cast his first vote in this country. He is a member of Riverside Post, No. 118, G. A. R. In 1868 Mr. Aberdein was united in marriage with Miss Candace M. Johnson, a native of Ohio. Of their four children only two are living. viz.: Blanche and Genevieve.