Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
E. G. Judson. About 1881-’82 Judson & Brown secured 1,500 acres of land on the sloping hillsides south of the Mill Creek zanja, surveyed and platted the same into five, ten and twenty-acre lots, with wide avenues traversing the whole plat. This enterprise was regarded as an experiment from the fact that the red soil of the slope had never been tested as to its adaptability to horticultural pursuits. With plenty of water and good cultivation the doubt as to the value of the land was soon removed and the success of the colony enterprise was assured. Thus encouraged the projectors enlarged their possessions by additional purchases, until they had between three and four thousand acres in their colony, which, on account of the color of the soil, they named Redlands. This was the fourth city incorporated within San Bernardino County. November 26, 1888, the citizens, in accordance with the general laws of the State, voted as follows on incorporation: whole number of votes cast, 283; for incorporation, 216. Officers elected were: Trustees, E. G. Judson, J. B. Glover, B. W. Cave, C. N. Andrews. H. H. Sinclair; Clerk, L. W. Clark; Marshal, W. C. Brumagim; Treasurer, F. P. Morrison.
Mr. Judson was born in Bridgeport, Connecticut, and was educated there and at Amherst. He first went into the book business in New York City, where he was afterward for a number of years, a dealer in stocks, broker-age, etc., on Wall street. In 1876 he came to California, and Redlands is the result of his coming. He is a man of marked ability, and but for his indefatigable labors, Redlands would not be what it is today. He has been instrumental in organizing nearly all the water companies in the place, full descriptions of which will be seen elsewhere in this work.