Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
H. C. KING. This gentleman is the able cashier of the Boone County Bank, at Harrison, Arkansas, which is one of the most extensive banking concerns in this part of the State, and is doing a successful general banking business. It was established March 3, 1886, with a capital stock of $20,000, and R. S. Armitage was made its president, R. F. King, Jr., cashier, and D. N. Fulbright vice-president, but in October, 1888, the capital stock was increased to $50,000, and R. F. King became president, R. S. Armitage vice-president, and H. C. King cashier. The following board of directors were elected: M. L. Aderhalt, William A. Greever, A. S. Layton, Dr. J. L. Sims, G. C. Rhodes, E. J. Rhodes, G. W. Zigler, R. F. King and H.C. King. A new building for this bank is in process of erection in Harrison, and will be a handsome and modern structure, substantially built. This bank does an extremely large business, and during the late panic in banking circles had the entire confidence of the public. The average deposits amount to about $60,000, and the bank, in addition to its general exchange, annually handles some $200,000 exchange for the extensive stock industry of this section. Since the new organization, in 1888, the bank has paid a dividend of 9 per cent., and carries a 3 per cent. surplus fund.
H. C. King was born in Boone County January 18, 1855, the fifth of seven children born to Robert F. and Phoebe C. (Orr) King, natives of Tennessee and Kentucky, respectively, who came to Boone County, Arkansas, from Kentucky at an early day. They opened up a farm in the vicinity of Lead Hill, but at the opening of the war moved to Greene County, Missouri, and at the close of the conflict returned to find the most of the goodly property they had accumulated swept away. They lived in a small log stable the first year after their return, then once more made improvements and lived on the place up to 1875, when they moved to Lead Hill, and in 1879 to Harrison, the father’s death occurring in this place. He was a Whig prior to the war, a Union man during that time and a Democrat afterward. His widow and seven children survive him: Frances, wife of David McCord; James M., of Harrison; Samuel, a farmer of the county; Alfred L., also a farmer; Henry C.; Mattie C.;and Robert F., who is president of the above mentioned bank.
Henry C. King attended the common schools of the county until he was seventeen years old, at which time he engaged in drug business at Lead Hill, which he followed with some success for three years. However, his taste was in the line of office work, and he secured a position in the county clerk’s office, receiving for his services 50 cents per day, out of which he paid his board and bought his clothing. After remaining thus employed for two years he was appointed deputy clerk at a salary of $1 per day, and, concluding this was sufficient to support a wife, he accordingly married Ida Crawford. At the end of four years he was made county clerk, and at the end of two terms he retired from politics without being defeated in an election. During the eight years that he was in the clerk’s office he pursued the study of law, was connected with the Harrison Times for one year, and in 1884 was admitted to the bar.
After practicing his profession for twelve months, he entered the United States Land Office as chief clerk, which office he left to become assistant cashier in the Boone County Bank, where he is now cashier. His wife was born in Missouri, a daughter of Col. Robert W. Crawford, and to them have been given five children: Helen, Ida, Alfred L., Jr., Vera and Edith. Mr. and Mrs. King are members of the Christian Church, and socially he is a member of the I. O. O. F. He was for four or five years a member of the board of city aldermen and was for six years on the school board. A Democrat in politics, he is a man of original and independent views, follows no established forms, but at all times thinks for himself. He is one of the largest stockholders in the Boone County Bank, has a pleasant home in Harrison, besides other town and acre property, and is in the enjoyment of a competency earned through his own efforts. While in the clerk’s office he secured a patent on what is known as King’s Index to County Papers and Records, which is being largely used throughout the State, and he also has an abstract of title for real estate and a bank cash book which are patented and copyrighted.