Frank H. Miller, secretary-treasurer of the Commercial Press Company of Racine, became one of the owners of this business on the 17th of August, 1903, after having previously served for a number of years as foreman. Since that date he has been active in the management of the concern and has become more and more largely interested as a stockholder. He was born in this city November 24, 1879, a son of Leo F. and Theresa (Huck) Miller. The father was likewise a native of this city and the mother of Newark, New Jersey, both being born in the year 1855. The paternal grandfather, Nicholas Miller, came to Racine in 1850, casting in his lot with the early settlers and becoming one of the first merchants, here conducting a dry goods store and hotel. In early life Leo F. Miller learned the painter’s trade and became a painting contractor, conducting a substantial business of that character. He was also interested and active in public affairs and served as supervisor, while for one year he was on the board of public works. He married Theresa Huck, a daughter of Roman Huck, who brought his family to Wisconsin in pioneer times. Both Mr. and Mrs. Leo F. Miller became members of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church.
Frank H. Miller was graduated from the parochial and ward schools of Racine and in his youthful days took up the study of telegraphy, which he followed for six months but made change in his business career by learning the printer’s trade in the office of the Manufacturers’ Printing Company. He left that company to enter the employ of the Commercial Press Company, of which he was made foreman, occupying that position until he purchased an interest in the business. From time to time he increased his stock and as opportunity offered his brothers became stockholders in the concern, until the Miller brothers are now sole proprietors. They have a well equipped establishment supplied with the latest machinery, presses and all accessories for the conduct of a modern printing plant and their patronage is now large and gratifying.
On the 9th of June, 1908, Mr. Miller was united in marriage to Miss Rose Huetten, a daughter of Peter and Rose (Miller) Huetten, who were early settlers in this part of the state. They now have one child, Franklin, five years of age. The parents are members of the St. Rose Catholic church and Mr. Miller holds membership with the Knights of Columbus, the Catholic Order of Foresters and with various fraternal organizations of a non-sectarian nature, being identified with the Elks, the Eagles, the Moose and the Royal League. He is a member of the Racine Country Club and the Commercial Club and manifests a deep interest in all that pertains to the city’s development that receives the support of the club. He is now filling the position of police commissioner, to which he was appointed by Mayor Thiesen in April, 1915, for a term of five years. In his business career he has made substantial advance as the direct reward of his own labors and what he has accomplished represents the fit utilization of the innate powers and talents which are his.