Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Bain, Charles H., Middlebury, was born in Bristol, Addison county, Vt., on July 6, 1839. His parents were Andrew and Harriett (Mills) Bain. Andrew Bain was born in Glasgow, Scotland, about 1818, and with his father, Andrew, sr., emigrated to America in 1830, and settled in the town of Lincoln, where Andrew, sr., died. Andrew, jr., after his marriage, with his wife and child journeyed to the State of Illinois in a canvas-covered wagon, and was absent about a year. He then returned east and purchased a farm near Little Notch,, south of Bristol, where he resided eight years, when he again went West, this time to Wisconsin, in the same manner as before, and squatted there for about two years, returning east in 1851; and in the following year he settled on the place now owned by his son Charles H. He lived on this place until 1871, when he purchased the place on Munger street, where he now resides. He had a family of two sons, Charles H. and Homer M. (who died in 1862 at the age of nineteen years). Charles H. was educated in the common schools, and brought up to farming. In the fall of 1861 he enlisted in Company E, Second Regiment sharpshooters, and took part in the skirmish at the taking of Fredericksburgh in the spring of 1862. He was with General Auger’s brigade under McDowell. When that brigade was being transferred by rail a collision occurred, in which about 100 men were injured, Mr. Bain among them. He was injured in the spine, sent to the hospital, and remained there nine months on duty as detail clerk, and orderly in distributing camp for several months, then transferred to veteran corps in the defenses at Washington till the expiration of term of services, which occurred on December 4, 1864. He was mustered out at Washington in December, and returned to civil life, and was married on February 7, 1865, to Emma Moor, who was a daughter of Chauncey Moor, of Middlebury, Vt. After his marriage he conducted the home place for six years, which he purchased in 1877, and now owns a fine place of 155 acres. They have three sons, Homer M., Burley C., and Casca R.