Mr. and Mrs. Hunt are some of San Mateo’s pioneer families and on Mrs. Hunt’s side come from a family of pioneers. Mr. and Mrs Hunt originally settled in the immediate neighborhood of their present home, 317 Ellsworth avenue, at a time when there were only two or three neighbors within calling distance. They bought their home direct from the Howards who at that time practically owned the entire city of San Mateo. Two picturesque log cabins were erected on their lots, one of which they occupied themselves. One of these cabins was burned down not so long ago, but another was soon erected in its place. These cabins stand today as one of the show places of San Mateo, simple yet artistic and inviting from the outside. The interior of Mrs. Hunt’s cabin is the very picture of an ideal home with its dainty furniture, wide tiled fireplace and, beautiful fixtures. The grounds surrounding it are laid out in harmonious detail and fenced in by a low wall of rustic redwood boards.
Mr. and Mrs. Hunt were married in the east on October 21, 1868 on a farm near Trenton, New Jersey, and soon after this came out to California and settled in San Mateo where they have been living for the last twenty-five years, with the exception of a short period spent in San Francisco and Stockton.
Mr. Hunt was a successful dry goods merchant and dealt largely also in wholesale millinery. He has now retired from active business and is living comfortably off the proceeds of the money he made in his earlier and more active years.
Mrs. Hunt comes from a family noted for their longevity, springing from the Philadelphia Biddies, her grandmother being a Biddle. Both her mother and father lived to a ripe old age and passed the last years of their lives close to their daughter; both died under her roof.
No couple in San Mateo have a larger number of loving friends than Mr. and Mrs. Hunt, as their circle of acquaintances embraces not only those who are numbered among the early settlers of the town, but large numbers who have built their homes in San Mateo in the later years.
Mrs. Hunt belongs to the Laurel Chapter of the Eastern Star; and Mr. Hunt is a member of the Knights of Pythias which he joined in 1877 in Stockton, affiliating himself with Centennial No. 138.